General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
BURSELF
    Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 pm

hi there
is this mask

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOLAR-AUTO-DARKEN ... 5adbf2a941

good for a beginer or no
i know speedglass they make best masks . can u tell me would be this from ebay good enough ?
and what speedglass `s mask got better then this one i wanna buy ?

cheers
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

BURSELF wrote:hi there
is this mask

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SOLAR-AUTO-DARKEN ... 5adbf2a941

good for a beginer or no
i know speedglass they make best masks . can u tell me would be this from ebay good enough ?
and what speedglass `s mask got better then this one i wanna buy ?

cheers
That didn't seem to have a brand name so it is hard to tell. It may be a Harbor Freight or Northern Tool hood that was taken to the UK for resale.

If you can order through HF or NT in the UK it might be a better bet. Others have used those with success.

The other option is to go first class right away since you'll probably get there anyway. I started off cheaply and then went to a Miller Elite after a couple of other upgrades. "It is the cheapest person that ends up spending the most."

Better helmets have adjustments, more sensors, wider views, and such.
Sarge

You only get one set of eyes. I would spend the money for a known good unit. Unless you quit, you will spend more money buying the second anyway, as the gent above said. You may not need the best of the best, but I would not go cheap. Just sayin...... ;)
Be Innovative.
Goal is perfection, but excellence is Acceptable.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Ya it kinda depends on how much your gonna use it for. You can get a good one for a hobbyist, auto dark, for around 100 bucks. Or you can go all the way up to 300-400, maybe more. That being said, I learned on a old flip down, cost me 20 bucks. Works just fine ya know. Not very comfertable, but it does the job.
"It is the cheapest person that ends up spending the most."
Argh, there's some wisdom to that. And I hate it cause I'm so damn cheap :p
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

check welding supplies on this website. theres an auto-darkening one @ northern tool for like $59-good for everyday use assuming you aren't welding in a ditch with it or something. i only get 3 years out of a good miller one because of the abuse while welding in the hole so to speak