General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

im planning on getting the everlast powertig 250ex, and in the info it says "1 and 3 phase operation 240V (minimum voltage 208 V)" im no very familiar with the phases or anything related to them, when it says, "1 and 3" does it mean it can do both, or you pick which you want upon the placed order? because as far as i know, phase 1 is the only option/best option for welding at your home/garage since its like the same as the dryer outlet. as far as i know phase 3 isnt used for your home, please correct me if im wrong, but regarding the welder, do i get to pick upon the order? sorry if its really obvious, but my english isn't spot on reading wise.

thank you for the help
regards

noah
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Noah,

Generally, you have to specify single- or three-phase when ordering.

If you intend to run it from your dryer outlet, specify the single-phase.

3-phase is not usually available at home without an expensive converter.

Steve S
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

the 250ex comes as 1 and/or 3 phase welder,without a plug on power cable. Follow directions to match up the male plug for dryer outlet. On mine it was fold back the 3ph wire(red) tape off ,wire the plug, weld. 110v-110 v, ground (green)
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote: 3-phase is not usually available at home without an expensive converter.

Steve S

yeah, talked to my teacher and she said the exact same thing, but i wasnt sure, thanks for the confirmation :)