General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
fargo.paul
    Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:19 pm

I am looking for the best way to hard surface a 1/4" wear bar on my tractor mounted snow blower. I have a Lincon 225 AC buzz box, Lincon 135 120v mig w/ C-25 gas and a standard oxygen acetylene torch. What would give me the best result, I have tried my 120v mig and standard wire dosen't last very long. My buzz box seems to be too hot thus warping the edge. Any suggestions.
Last edited by fargo.paul on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bshamblin
    Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:50 pm

lincoln has a "farm welding" little green book with a chapter on that, i seem to remember. you can order it cheap from www.alibris.com used. seems there is a different proceedure for "building up" and another for "hard facing". different techniques for tooth wear and bucket wear etc also.

bill in nc
bshamblin
    Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:50 pm

i dont know the specific answers but i do have more about the book about ac arc welding

arc welding lessons ( for school and home shop )
by the james f lincoln arc welding foundation and written by harold kugler
june 1956

exercise 14 pp 258-79 hardfacing with arc welding equipment

a good book for under $5 + mailing

bill in nc
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

You could do it with either the buzz box or the oxy aceteylene torch, but the oxy-acetylene torch would take forever and probably use alot of gas. I dont think the 120 v mig would give ya enough heat for 1/4 steel.

What amperage are you runnin your buzzbox at? If your runnin on the edge you'll need to run a little cooler to prevent it from just melting away.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Sarge

What you need (in my opinion) is Lincoln "wearwhield ABR" . It is a great hard surface rod. Goes on great and is easy to use. Just make sure you have great ventilation! Outside is best and stay upwind. It wears great. I have used it while welding at a farm repair weld shop for furrow bars. These things dig furrows for irrigation water between rows. It was new to me being from Minnesota originally.
Be Innovative.
Goal is perfection, but excellence is Acceptable.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
fargo.paul
    Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks to all, I found this site it details every type and ways to hard surface. I will let you know how it goes.

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs ... /c7710.pdf
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Thats an awesome guide man :)
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

just checked out the link to lincoln hardfacing manual-its like 50+ pages-nice reference. i need to hard face and build up my scraper blade of my 48" JD blower also. thanx again