General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Hey folks, Jody's thinking about doing a Welding DVD consisting of a culmination of the videos he's done for us for FREE!!!! He mentioned 10.00 as the asking price and I sent him and email saying 25.00 is more like it.

Hate me if you will for that but I'd certainly pay 25.00 for it. I paid a lot more than that for a professionally made video and it didn't help me near as much as Jody's videos.

Those of you that signed up for his weekly emails will already know about his idea.

It's aimed at those with slow Internet connections or those who just want to learn when an internet connection isn't available. You could watch it on a TV, your laptop in the shop or garage, while sitting in your boat waiting for fish to jump in, etc...

If you like or dislike his idea, let him know, I did.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

SSchefer,

I believe $25 for documenting a 30+ year knowledge base of proven techniques is reasonable. A DVD with 2-4 hours of instruction on SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, and possibly PAW would be quite and effort to produce.

With special attention to GTAW, I would like to see some lessons on using a transformer/rectifier based power source instead of an inverter power source. There are many of us part time welders that use the T.R. type and I am sure Jody could provide some tips and tricks using this type of power source.

I would by this DVD.

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
sschefer

Wobulate wrote:SSchefer,

I believe $25 for documenting a 30+ year knowledge base of proven techniques is reasonable. A DVD with 2-4 hours of instruction on SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, and possibly PAW would be quite and effort to produce.

With special attention to GTAW, I would like to see some lessons on using a transformer/rectifier based power source instead of an inverter power source. There are many of us part time welders that use the T.R. type and I am sure Jody could provide some tips and tricks using this type of power source.

I would by this DVD.

Wob
Wob, I sort of agree about the T.R. units but then if you pay real close attention you'll see that he's not always running inverters and they skill and techniques are almost always the same.

As for the vid's, I think he's talking about taking the Vid's he has done and putting them on DVD for those that don't have good access to the internet or may lack computer skills.

A published DVD with professional development and editing would be quite an undertaking. I'd be fearful that they'd need to be politcally correct and loose the candid and frank nature that makes understanding his current videos so easy.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

SSchefer,

About your comment on the P.C., and the candid and frank nature (and Welder's Humor), it may be reduced if professionally produced. :o
Like you, I like and expect this type of humor from Jody, it makes learning fun. :lol:

I vote that the method Jody uses to deliver the information should never be changed, it is what makes it unique.

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I'd pay 25 dollars for a dvd of Jody's videos, but I wouldn't pay 25 dollars for some P.C. mass-produced garbage.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
sschefer

kermdawg wrote:I'd pay 25 dollars for a dvd of Jody's videos, but I wouldn't pay 25 dollars for some P.C. mass-produced garbage.
Ahmen to that... I bought the Miller DVD (45.00) and it pretty much sux's when it comes to practical knowledge gained. This isn't to say that Ron Covell doesn't know TIG. There's no doubt he's an ace but in order to be a marketable item he has to be so cautious that it makes the training virtually useless.
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

I'd pay 25 dollars for some of his knowledge. Knowing it ain't damn near all of it.