General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Ok, I will be getting a Bobcat 250 with efi. The thing is heavy. haha I am trying to make a cart with the cheap welder I have now. Would not work at all. I think it was for the fact, that I left the rods in the box I received them in. Which, was in my grandfathers shed. They have white stuff all over them. My fault. I just ordered new ones. I hope that is the reason. haha BUT, if it is the cheap welder, not being able to weld the metal, then I have to wait for the Bobcat to do it. So, I need something that would be able to life the bobcat from the ground. The shed I will be getting in a few weeks is 8 x 8. I saw an engine hoist thing. But, that seemed like a bit much.

Could anyone give me advice, on something that could lift, say, 550 pounds? The shed, which is already out there and being given to me by my step dad (he is getting a new one) is wooden. I thought, if only I could put a steal beam, going across from one side to the other, I could get one of those things that would connect to it. But, I know that the wood is not strong enough for that. Plus, how would I connect it? haha

You could rent an engine hoist for the day.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Get your cart ready with some good wheels on it, rent the engine hoist for 1/2 a day, sit it on your cart, you are money. And I think you were talking about a chain fall.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

if it's a one time job - beg / borrow / steal some scaffold poles to make a couple of " A " frames & use a cheap Horrible Fright " come along " - they are slow but will lift more than you think plus it's a really useful tool to have - amazing how often you will use it.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm