General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I like collecting cool stuff to experiment with.
I've recently acquired a Mass Spectrometer for FREE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOGM2gOHKPc

It has a turbomolecular pump in it. (60,000+ rpms)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOca57gPsq4
Attachments
Varian 1200.jpg
Varian 1200.jpg (35.55 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

I could possibly use it, I have a suspicion there was a lot of Boron in my last delivery of steel. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am challenged enough operating a bathroom scale recording my own mass with out manipulating the data :D

And if you buy a collider I am reporting you to your Homeowners Association :o
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I use a mass spectrometer in my day-to-day work. It, too, has a turbo-molecular pump, capable of creating vacuum down to less than 1.0E -06 torr. (I'd have to pull the spec to tell you the actual ultimate partial pressure, but the number I gave is an underestimate, if anything.)

The spectrometer tube is tuned specifically for helium, but I know how to tune it myself, and can make it register other ions, though the need does not arise in my work. I just like knowing how.

Steve S
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Damn, vacuum work sucks. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla

I used an old Alcatel unit for years testing SST vacuum plumbing for the semiconductor industry, not exactly mad scientist material though... :|
Attachments
20150507_111327a.jpg
20150507_111327a.jpg (52.88 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
Richard
Website

I typically use Agilent/Varian products. I'm most accustomed to the 979, but we've recently acquired a 959, which is far more "manual" in nature, and I'm interested to see what I can do with it, in light of the manual adjustments I can make to get it to perform in the manner I need. It's rated for less sensitivity than the 979 by a factor of 100, but in the nanoliter range, that's less significant than it sounds.

Werkspace, does your freebie mass-spec come with or require a roughing pump or fore pump?

I guess I should look at the youtubes you shared...
[Edit] Ah, these are videos on operating theory, with which I'm already quite familiar.

Steve S

My Mass Spectrometer is a Varian 1200.
(I also have a spare turbomolecular pump)
I've owned the roughing pump for several years.
Otto Nobedder wrote:I typically use Agilent/Varian products. I'm most accustomed to the 979, but we've recently acquired a 959, which is far more "manual" in nature, and I'm interested to see what I can do with it, in light of the manual adjustments I can make to get it to perform in the manner I need. It's rated for less sensitivity than the 979 by a factor of 100, but in the nanoliter range, that's less significant than it sounds.

Werkspace, does your freebie mass-spec come with or require a roughing pump or fore pump?

I guess I should look at the youtubes you shared...
[Edit] Ah, these are videos on operating theory, with which I'm already quite familiar.

Steve S

WerkSpace wrote:My Mass Spectrometer is a Varian 1200.
I assume, then, you're familiar with the major suppliers for various components, consumables, etc. such as Ideal Vacuum Products and Key High.

Steve S
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

You guys play with the coolest toys :geek:
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....

Though should not ASS U ME...
(These are recently acquired toys.)
I'm going to need some time to put this project in motion.
Otto Nobedder wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:My Mass Spectrometer is a Varian 1200.
I assume, then, you're familiar with the major suppliers for various components, consumables, etc. such as Ideal Vacuum Products and Key High.

Steve S

I get most of my accessories, fittings, etc. from Ideal,

http://www.idealvac.com

Their catalog (at least the hard copy) has lots of useful data and theory.

Steve S