General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

It's interesting, but definitely not for everyone. There is heaps of repetition. The job I'm on at the moment is part of an order of 1200 vehicles, so there will be the same welds for a while.
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:It's interesting, but definitely not for everyone. There is heaps of repetition. The job I'm on at the moment is part of an order of 1200 vehicles, so there will be the same welds for a while.
I could see that but at the same time I love dropping the hood as long as possible

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Me too
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Hey, Mick, good to hear your story!
Otto Nobedder wrote: All the episodes are archived here:
http://www.wttpodcast.libsyn.com
I've found i prefer the layout at this site, seems to be organized a little better. Altho who thought light grey text on a white background was a good idea.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/roy-cr ... roductions
Dave
aka "RTFM"

Glad you liked it, Dave. I didn't think I could offer much but I reckon I could have talked for another couple of hours.
Artie F. Emm

Just heard the "Bosses" episode. Congratulations to Jonathan for taking the big step and going full-time with Superior Welding!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Artie,
Thank you very much! It's been a long time coming but I finally made the jump. So far it has been a blast and a learning curve. You think you have it all figured out and something new comes your way (or more specifically difficult customers).

On this note, the next episode, 61 or 62 depending on how it all works out, will specifically deal with growing your business. I asked a lot of questions and am hoping that you, yes you reading this, can offer some incite and opinion.
Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:Artie,
Thank you very much! It's been a long time coming but I finally made the jump. So far it has been a blast and a learning curve. You think you have it all figured out and something new comes your way (or more specifically difficult customers).

On this note, the next episode, 61 or 62 depending on how it all works out, will specifically deal with growing your business. I asked a lot of questions and am hoping that you, yes you reading this, can offer some incite and opinion.
Jonathan
My advice is to be near a large city or you better have a niche! Now I just need to find a niche!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Superiorwelding wrote:Artie,

Jonathan
Thanks for EP. 61 I think it'll come in handy! And good luck on your business venture!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Artie F. Emm

A thought on the "first job is free" strategy: make sure you put the invoice into the hand of the decision maker, and make sure you explain to that decision maker right then and there why he's getting the credit. If you don't, or if you leave it for them or mail it in, the invoice may get swept up into the accounts payable process, and the only person to notice is the a/p tech. Also, give a copy of that invoice to your tax guy ao he can take it out of the tax bill.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm

More thoughts on the "finding new business" episode. City / county / state agencies put jobs out for competitive bid. Sometimes repair and sometimes new construction. I've seen state DOT ads needing welders to be available to fix snow plows during storms, not sure if the welders were on call to appear at the DOT depot or on call to appear out on the highway somewhere. Anyone on this site pursued these types of contracts?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

At work we do mechanical repairs for state agencies. I know they pre bid a set labor rate for different regions of the state. And a set rate on materials markup. That gets you authorized to do the repairs. Often they have a 2hr arrival window, meaning that you agree to be onsite within 2hrs of the call for service. Not sure if all states are the same.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 pm

I like that there are posted on youtube.

I'm already subscribed to WT& T and now I listen to all of them.

Not connected to Instagram at all.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

It's been a year and a half since anyone discussed the podcast on this thread?

Damn!

Steve

Welcome back. I thought it might be someone commenting on how interesting we were on there.
Poland308

I think it’s been brought up intermittently during other posts. Is this intended to be where new ideas are submitted?

Josh

Otto Nobedder wrote:It's been a year and a half since anyone discussed the podcast on this thread?

Damn!

Steve
damn and wow! Good to see you Steve, hope all is well
Richard
Website
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

+1
Good to see you back - we miss your wisdom.

I'll admit to being a little self-absorbed with health issues. Not just my own. My wife and I now live with her sister and our brother-in-law. I'm now the least crippled person in the house. It works out well enough, as these people are family before they are in-laws. They see to all our needs as well as our reasonable wants, and we essentially serve as care-givers. My skills have saved them thousands of dollars, and I'm a pretty good cook, too.
I'm currently working to put together a small but quality home recording studio so I can work from home selling voiceover services (Radio ads, narrations, audiobooks, and the like). It will require a better microphone than I used on the podcast, and I'll have to use my actor's voice instead of the unrestrained voice y'all heard.
Bak to the health thing, I still don't have a diagnosis. I do have familiarity and predictability. I can sense and predict what effects may come when I have an "outburst", for want of a better word. This gives me a chance to take actions to minimize the effects so I can keep moving forward.
Thanks for noticing my unexpected appearance. It means more ot me than I can say just to have someone acknowledge me for showing up.

Steve
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Hi Steve,
very sorry to hear about your health and your family. I thought you were just engrossed with treading the boards. Are you still able to work or is it worse than that?
Vic.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Hi, Vic,

I haven't worked since July. One of the issues I'm having is crippling fatigue. It comes in cycles, every 6-10 days, and can last 1-3 days. In between, I can become almost manic.

One thing I suspect, that my GP dismissed out of hand, is a pheocromocytoma. It's a little tumor that grows on one or both adrenal glands, causing one to constantly have too much adrenaline. This fits the high blood pressure, cold sweats, racing heart, racing thoughts and anxiety, and even explains the fatigue, a bit like crashing after a week's cocaine binge (I presume. I never could afford that much coke... :lol: )

I could work from home if I had the space. That's why I'm thinking of doing voice work. I can set that up in a medium-size closet.

Steve
Poland308

Odd. Must have been drunk.
Last edited by Poland308 on Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josh
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

To all,
We announced this to our Patron supporters and now it's time to announce this here. In addition to the weekly full length episode (which could turn into more each week?) we are getting ready to launch what we are calling "Stubby" episodes. These will be around 10 mins each where we take a question that has been asked of us and give it a quick answer. This is an effort to continue to give back to the community a little more and allows a catalog of episodes that can be quickly listened to (think over your break) and you don't have to listen to a full episode to hear the answer. These are planned to start next month, October 2019 and will post each Wednesday. We hope to make these a daily post (5 a week) but will start out slowly to see how well received they are. Once they start to air let us know what you think!

http://wttpodcast.libsyn.com/
-Jonathan Lewis
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

sounds sweet :D
tweak it until it breaks

Sounds good Jonathan.
Richard
Website