General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rhyno21
    Tue May 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Just wanted to say thank you very much for all you guys do with the forum and podcast. I am rhyno19 on Instagram.
Hot rods and burning matal by day
canimation907
    Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:43 am

I was wondering how much are you asking for the Eastwood tig 200 AC/DC machone
paulnapper
    Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:23 pm

Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for your time in producing such a fine podcast. I really enjoy listening and learning! Keep up the great work!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Episode 50 is a gem.

It recaps what our hosts took away from every guest interview.

Steve
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Had a go at the friendly chat that is our Podcast the other day. It was great to chat, though I don't think we got through a full topic before we shot off to another one. Just like a normal conversation I suppose.
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

Perhaps you can direct me to the episode. I'm looking or one on smaw. One that talks about rods, when to use each one and why. What arc force does and hot start. Inverter vs transformer vs the rotary style found on gas powered units. Buzz boxes and the limitations on ac only machines. I know Jody has experience in pipe, but what about structural steel welding, wether on a skyscraper or oil rig or a road bridge.

I personally don't have much interest for the small, tight tolerance that Crummy does (don't think that I don't respect what you do, you are a VERY skilled welder. It's just not my cup of coffee). I always had more of an interest in out door welding. Either putting some 36" gas pipe together, or glueing a broken excavator back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weldin mike 27 wrote:Had a go at the friendly chat that is our Podcast the other day. It was great to chat, though I don't think we got through a full topic before we shot off to another one. Just like a normal conversation I suppose.
Hey Mick, enjoyed hearing you on the PC, have to ask, there is a background sound at 1:00:03, sorta sounds like a cow??
Richard
Website

No idea mate, 4 separate microphones catching all manner of interference, and its heavily edited. Could be anything. (Not a cow though. At least from my end. )

Glad you like the show. I loved the chance to chat, Pleasantly surprised with how it turned out.
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:No idea mate, 4 separate microphones catching all manner of interference, and its heavily edited. Could be anything. (Not a cow though. At least from my end. )

Glad you like the show. I loved the chance to chat, Pleasantly surprised with how it turned out.
Ya definitely a good listen! Sounds like Interesting stuff you get to do.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Homemade wrote:Perhaps you can direct me to the episode. I'm looking or one on smaw. One that talks about rods, when to use each one and why. What arc force does and hot start. Inverter vs transformer vs the rotary style found on gas powered units. Buzz boxes and the limitations on ac only machines. I know Jody has experience in pipe, but what about structural steel welding, wether on a skyscraper or oil rig or a road bridge.

I personally don't have much interest for the small, tight tolerance that Crummy does (don't think that I don't respect what you do, you are a VERY skilled welder. It's just not my cup of coffee). I always had more of an interest in out door welding. Either putting some 36" gas pipe together, or glueing a broken excavator back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the episodes are archived here:
www.wttpodcast.libsyn.com

Steve

It's interesting, but definitely not for everyone. There is heaps of repetition. The job I'm on at the moment is part of an order of 1200 vehicles, so there will be the same welds for a while.

weldin mike 27 wrote:It's interesting, but definitely not for everyone. There is heaps of repetition. The job I'm on at the moment is part of an order of 1200 vehicles, so there will be the same welds for a while.
I could see that but at the same time I love dropping the hood as long as possible

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Me too
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Hey, Mick, good to hear your story!
Otto Nobedder wrote: All the episodes are archived here:
http://www.wttpodcast.libsyn.com
I've found i prefer the layout at this site, seems to be organized a little better. Altho who thought light grey text on a white background was a good idea.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/roy-cr ... roductions
Dave
aka "RTFM"

Glad you liked it, Dave. I didn't think I could offer much but I reckon I could have talked for another couple of hours.
Artie F. Emm

Just heard the "Bosses" episode. Congratulations to Jonathan for taking the big step and going full-time with Superior Welding!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Artie,
Thank you very much! It's been a long time coming but I finally made the jump. So far it has been a blast and a learning curve. You think you have it all figured out and something new comes your way (or more specifically difficult customers).

On this note, the next episode, 61 or 62 depending on how it all works out, will specifically deal with growing your business. I asked a lot of questions and am hoping that you, yes you reading this, can offer some incite and opinion.
Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:Artie,
Thank you very much! It's been a long time coming but I finally made the jump. So far it has been a blast and a learning curve. You think you have it all figured out and something new comes your way (or more specifically difficult customers).

On this note, the next episode, 61 or 62 depending on how it all works out, will specifically deal with growing your business. I asked a lot of questions and am hoping that you, yes you reading this, can offer some incite and opinion.
Jonathan
My advice is to be near a large city or you better have a niche! Now I just need to find a niche!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Superiorwelding wrote:Artie,

Jonathan
Thanks for EP. 61 I think it'll come in handy! And good luck on your business venture!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Artie F. Emm

A thought on the "first job is free" strategy: make sure you put the invoice into the hand of the decision maker, and make sure you explain to that decision maker right then and there why he's getting the credit. If you don't, or if you leave it for them or mail it in, the invoice may get swept up into the accounts payable process, and the only person to notice is the a/p tech. Also, give a copy of that invoice to your tax guy ao he can take it out of the tax bill.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm

More thoughts on the "finding new business" episode. City / county / state agencies put jobs out for competitive bid. Sometimes repair and sometimes new construction. I've seen state DOT ads needing welders to be available to fix snow plows during storms, not sure if the welders were on call to appear at the DOT depot or on call to appear out on the highway somewhere. Anyone on this site pursued these types of contracts?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

At work we do mechanical repairs for state agencies. I know they pre bid a set labor rate for different regions of the state. And a set rate on materials markup. That gets you authorized to do the repairs. Often they have a 2hr arrival window, meaning that you agree to be onsite within 2hrs of the call for service. Not sure if all states are the same.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 pm

I like that there are posted on youtube.

I'm already subscribed to WT& T and now I listen to all of them.

Not connected to Instagram at all.

It's been a year and a half since anyone discussed the podcast on this thread?

Damn!

Steve

Welcome back. I thought it might be someone commenting on how interesting we were on there.