General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Well, I've been waiting since last year. Today, I finally ordered my first real welder. A Bobcat 250 with electric fuel pump. I ordered that, a cover and something called running gear, which was only $10 extra, BUT, it gave me the ability to get both the $500 discount from Miller and the extra $50 one as well. It said out of stick and that it will ship in 5 - 7 days. I am so excited.

I am making my own cart. But, I need that welder to weld the metal for the cart. The one I have, which was like $50 on Amazon, can't do it. So, I got a cart from Harbor Freight, that was like, $50. It said 1000 pound capacity. It had nice size wheels. I also got a set of straps to hold the thing down, when I move it from my shed, which, after my step father finishes cleaning out, I will get.

I ordered 20 feet of 2/0 wire a couple of weeks ago. I also got a stinger with a 500 amp capacity, as well as a clamp with the same amount. I've never done anything like it before. I ALSO got the cable connectors from cyberweld. Miller ones. I now have those on the ends of the cable and the stinger/clamp on the other ends.

I think I read that the welder comes with oil. I may be wrong. But, I am planning on getting premium gas for the thing. I had a brain injury in 03. Coma 6 weeks. Left me with no smell and 8% of my vision. So, I can not drive. I will treat the welder like it was my precious car. haha

I started a youtube channel for welding. Myadventuresinwelding. haha The day I get the welder, I will record a video of me setting everything up. After, I will get another camera (I don't want my phone to get messed up) and record projects. It would be cool to get opinions and ideas for stuff as well.

I am such a nerd, my mom printed out the label, I ordered it on her PC, and I am going to have both sheets laminated. haha It is a big deal to me. My dad had one. He died in 03. He was a very mean, alcoholic. I stopped talking to him when I was a teen. But, I wish he were alive to check the thing out with me. I am sure he will be there when I use the thing. I will post the link to my youtube thing when I upload the video.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Hope that welder works out for you. Sounds like you have a plan for it already and good luck on your channel.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Buy 2 quarts of good synthetic oil, (I like amsoil $7 a qt) that engine should take between 1.5 and 2qts.

Engine should run forever then :D
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I don't like to disagree with John ( AK ) he's a great guy & knowledgeable beyond his years - but on a brand new unit I would let it run in with regular mineral oil - do an oil change after say a couple of running hours just to wash out any machining / assembly debris - then another at maybe 20 hours - once everything has had a chance to settle by all means switch over to your favorite synthetic - I've seen engines do weird stuff like glaze bores when synthetic oil was used from new - I realize some new high stressed / high rev motors should run synthetic all the time from new but I don't think the Bobcat falls into this group - once run in I think pretty much any engine will benefit from synthetic.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

noddybrian wrote:I don't like to disagree with John ( AK ) he's a great guy & knowledgeable beyond his years - but on a brand new unit I would let it run in with regular mineral oil - do an oil change after say a couple of running hours just to wash out any machining / assembly debris - then another at maybe 20 hours - once everything has had a chance to settle by all means switch over to your favorite synthetic - I've seen engines do weird stuff like glaze bores when synthetic oil was used from new - I realize some new high stressed / high rev motors should run synthetic all the time from new but I don't think the Bobcat falls into this group - once run in I think pretty much any engine will benefit from synthetic.

No worries noddy.

I'm not gonna argue over what oil to run.

Most motorcycles around here come from the factory with synthetic.
High rpm aircooled engines will benifit from syn protection. IMO.

A break-in oil never hurt nothing.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Glowzinski

Well, I finally got it. Cyberweld called me and told me it would arrive tomorrow. Which, was Wednesday. Nothing. Thursday comes around. Like 2pm. Nothing. They said the place would call me an hour before delivery. So, my mom called Con-way. The lady on the phone sounded surprised that nobody had called me yet. She said something about next week. Then, Friday was decided. Two days late. It's all good. BUT, I mean, when you have to wait around all day, for a call, it sucks when you get none.

Today, someone called my mom. She called and told me. BUT, the guy was like 15 minutes away. haha I did not even get to get in the shower. I was all like crusty. haha

The guy got it out of his truck. I was surprised to see the box, seemed all bent up. It really was not even in a box. It just had a brown box, that said Miller, over it. My cover was on a box on the top. I looked to make sure no damage was on it. The top part for holding the thing, had silver showing and there was a scratch or two on the bottom. Nothing that I am worried about. But, the guy took it off his cart and thought that was it. haha My step father asked him to wait a minute. I mean, how in the hell would two guys lift that thing? So, he called our neighbor, who has a thing in his garage that cal lift heavy stuff. We wheeled it over there and took it off the delivery guys cart. I then wheeled my Harbor Freight cart over and we sat it on. Then, my neighbor said we should strap it on the cart. I had already thought of that. I got a four pack of 1500 pound each straps from Freight. I went over and got those. We hooked two up and wheeled it home. It was priceless. A guy (my step father) who just broke his foot, another 60 some year old guy with a bad back and I think the other guy is like 80 something, trying to figure out how to get the welder in my shed. They kind of took it from me and took over. It was one of those things you will always remember. Such nice guys. Helping me out like that.

So, then the manual. It is all like, curled up. I was going to print one out of fed ex. It would be easier to read if the thing was flat. After my mom and I looked for the longest time, we finally got the PDF on the print screen. 70 some pages. The price said like $45. I said "no freaking way." haha There had to be an error. I then remembered that I had printed one out for the first one I was going to get, which was the 225. I am guessing it is almost the same. So, I will just read that.

I got home and filled out the stuff for the warranty then the rebate. That is when I had problems. It would not work. I tried again and again. Nothing. It said we had to contact them. My mom tried. Monday she would have to call back. I thought about the problem. I put the company as Cyberweld. I remember seeing on my Paypal statement that the company name was something and son. I tried that, sure enough it worked. So, I will be getting a $550 rebate eventually. It is cool to have a tracking number.

It is hot here in Maryland. like 100 out with humidity. haha I really want to read the manual before I start. Then, I have to get 1/2 inch steel for the welding table top.

It was a fun day. Full of lots of memories. I know that a lot of fun is ahead. :lol:
Attachments
thumb_IMG_9515_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9515_1024.jpg (70.93 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
thumb_IMG_9509_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9509_1024.jpg (34.11 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
thumb_IMG_9516_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9516_1024.jpg (73.37 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
thumb_IMG_9514_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9514_1024.jpg (76.23 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
thumb_IMG_9513_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9513_1024.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
thumb_IMG_9508_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9508_1024.jpg (46.23 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
thumb_IMG_9504_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9504_1024.jpg (60.39 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
thumb_IMG_9518_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9518_1024.jpg (55.79 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
thumb_IMG_9505_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9505_1024.jpg (40.81 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
thumb_IMG_9499_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9499_1024.jpg (52.21 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
thumb_IMG_9501_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9501_1024.jpg (48.29 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
thumb_IMG_9500_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9500_1024.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
thumb_IMG_9506_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_9506_1024.jpg (34.19 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
Glowzinski

Oh, the only thing, after asking, I believe Miller, I got two cable connectors. Male ends. I thought they would screw into the welding and allow me to connect the cables that way. No dice. Wow, I've always wanted to say that. My neighbor and brother told me there were mugs that would allow the male connectors to screw into. I will just get two of those. At almost $40 each, my ass is going to look on ebay. :lol:
Glowzinski

I tried welding with the Bobcat today. WOW! haha Works great. But, see the bending? Man, I almost passed out. I had a brain injury in 03, since that, bending over like that, man, almost took me down. haha Also, I am using a plastic table and a square brick thing. Not smart. I will have to get a welding table, until I make the one I want to make.
Attachments
Good times.
Good times.
13891953_10210356815345019_5944829697005061402_n.jpg (72.98 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Good for you man! I didn't know about your brain injury. If welding makes you happy then I am happy for you. Personally I would have chose gynecology over welding if I had a choice but, to each his own. You have all my respect. At the least you are trying to learn a craft to support yourself instead of getting some scumbag doctor to say you can't work so you can cash in on Social Security. I wish I could stick weld so I could help you!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Looks like you are gonna have all kinds of fun with that machine.

Oh, and I am another one who took up welding after a brain injury. Good on you for learning new things, keeping busy and building your skills!

Kym
Sparkie
    Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Great looking welder, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I restored a 1966 Lincoln Redface 2 years ago and I use it for some hobby welding I do and a few repairs for others. Welding is fun and interesting, good skill to have. Here's my welder

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve

1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface
1990 Miller Dialarc 250
2003 Miller Maxstar STR
2015 Lincoln MP210
Victor & MECO torches
KTMrider
    Wed May 25, 2016 10:44 pm

Congrats on your machine. My neighbor has the same machine he loves it, it's a beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love those old SA200s. Made my living with one for about a year and a half, nigh unto 20 years ago.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Glowzinski

Wow, that is a cool looking machine. I would love to get old welders and build them back to work. One day, if I ever have the space, I shall.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Welcome to the welding addiction! I can't wait to see your progress. I wish you lived closer to me, I have a ton of 1/2" plate you could use for a welding table top. Those Bobcats are great little machines for sure. Keep posting your story and progress.
Jonathan
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Get yourself a chair or adjustable height stool so you don't have to bend over. Practice keeping your head out of the weld and smoke. Or get some telescopic tubing and make an adjustable height table.
Miggs
    Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:33 am

KTMrider wrote:Congrats on your machine. My neighbor has the same machine he loves it, it's a beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha! Good choice of words! It certainly is a beast.
Jim FLinchbaugh
    Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:56 pm

Superiorwelding wrote: I wish you lived closer to me, I have a ton of 1/2" plate you could use for a welding table top.
Jonathan

Any chance of you coming to NW Montana sometime soon? :P :lol: