General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Alright, I ordered a Bobcat 250 with electric fuel pump. The place will get them in on the 18th. I am making a welder cart and a welding table. I am new to welding and really anything tool. So, for the welding table, I got square tubing, that is, I think 1/2 inch thick. No clue what I got it so thick. I cut the stuff out for the top and bottom. I also cut parts out for the parts to be welded on. I want the table to come to my belly button. The one I use now is short and I hate it.

Ok, the back wheels are like 8 inch. I will have to weld a piece of metal, then put a bar through for the back ones. The from will need metal welded on and have to be screwed in. They are smaller and swivel.

Now, I was going to get a sheet of steel for the top and bottom. Since there are legs, I know I would have to cut the corners of the bottom metal to fit. I was going to get thicker steel for the top and thinner for the bottom. I read online today, someone saying 1/2 inch is the thinnest you should get. I am sure, it will cost me an ass load. The table is like, 36 long by 25 wide. I want the top to come like four inches off each side. I don't want to bend over and kill myself. So, I figured I would take a pipe, heat it up, bend it and weld it over the edges. Thus, making the corners not so shank ready. BUT, our neighbor, who used to be an engineer I think, said that I COULD weld some of that steel grating to the top. Then, have a thing under to catch any stuff that fell. He also said they have some that let you drop the bottom, to get the stuff out. I figured out how I could do that. But, the grating thing, is it worth doing that? I know that if I just have a steel top, I would have to sometimes grind stuff off. I don't want to risk damaging the top though. As I said, I am new to tools and metal. So, I thought I would ask on here.
Bsmith
    Wed May 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Glowzinski wrote:Alright, I ordered a Bobcat 250 with electric fuel pump. The place will get them in on the 18th. I am making a welder cart and a welding table. I am new to welding and really anything tool. So, for the welding table, I got square tubing, that is, I think 1/2 inch thick. No clue what I got it so thick. I cut the stuff out for the top and bottom. I also cut parts out for the parts to be welded on. I want the table to come to my belly button. The one I use now is short and I hate it.

Ok, the back wheels are like 8 inch. I will have to weld a piece of metal, then put a bar through for the back ones. The from will need metal welded on and have to be screwed in. They are smaller and swivel.

Now, I was going to get a sheet of steel for the top and bottom. Since there are legs, I know I would have to cut the corners of the bottom metal to fit. I was going to get thicker steel for the top and thinner for the bottom. I read online today, someone saying 1/2 inch is the thinnest you should get. I am sure, it will cost me an ass load. The table is like, 36 long by 25 wide. I want the top to come like four inches off each side. I don't want to bend over and kill myself. So, I figured I would take a pipe, heat it up, bend it and weld it over the edges. Thus, making the corners not so shank ready. BUT, our neighbor, who used to be an engineer I think, said that I COULD weld some of that steel grating to the top. Then, have a thing under to catch any stuff that fell. He also said they have some that let you drop the bottom, to get the stuff out. I figured out how I could do that. But, the grating thing, is it worth doing that? I know that if I just have a steel top, I would have to sometimes grind stuff off. I don't want to risk damaging the top though. As I said, I am new to tools and metal. So, I thought I would ask on here.

Hello I've been reading your posts and I'm excited for you! .

Grating is pretty expensive compared to steel. So I'd op for the steel. Just check prices before buying. And don't worry about grinding you'll get use to it.
Glowzinski

Yea, our neighbor said it was not expensive. I looked at the prices and he was wrong. haha The square tube I got, to make the table is 1/4 steel, 2 inch by 2 inch. The cart will be so heavy. haha If I were to get two 6 foot pieces of that, it would cost me $129.24. I have the top and bottom cut already. But, I want to put three or four pieces in-between. It will only make it stronger. I just have to go to my grandparents (where I have been teaching myself to weld) and get the measurements 100%.

I was planning on have 4 inches come off each side of the thing. But, it does not seem worth the extra price to me.

The thickest steel I can get, for the top of the table, is 10 gauge. I have two things to see the size of gauged steel. One from Miller and the other is like, a wheel. 10 gauge is no where near as thick as 1/2 inch. BUT, if I have the square tube going across, I think it will be ok.

I could get a 26 by 38 piece of 10 gauge steel, for $111.28. Which would bring my total to $240.52. I also need more rectangle tube for a welder cart. But, I will wait for that. I got a cart from, maybe Home Depot, which will hold the welder for now.

There is a place in Baltimore. It is like, I don't know, maybe 30 minutes away from me. It is called Metals Depot. I get the stuff even cheaper if I pick it up myself. So, the price will go down.

Thanks for the reply. The only person I knew, who had any idea about welding, was my dad. He died in 03. So, I find this site and youtube very helpful.

Six days! Six days until cyberweld gets the welder in. Super excited.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I think you will regret the 10 gauge top. It will suffer from heat and hammer warping and you will struggle with setting up accurately. go as thick as you can afford. Anything over is better than 10 gauge, the thicker the better. I wouldn't consider anything under 1/4". Your table needs to be flat and level for good setting up. If you must have wheels make them retractable or extendable feet. You don't want to be hammering on wheels.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Glowzinski

So, 1/4 is what I will find. Thank you for the tip. I saw something that a guy did with wheels. He had something he did, that you could, hmm, I KNOW! There was a thing he did, that let you like, have a bar come off all of the legs. Then, the bar could be brought down so far, that they wheels would be off the ground. Would that work?

I will have to see if the place I get metal from, can get me 1/4 inch thick steel.
Bsmith
    Wed May 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Glowzinski wrote:So, 1/4 is what I will find. Thank you for the tip. I saw something that a guy did with wheels. He had something he did, that you could, hmm, I KNOW! There was a thing he did, that let you like, have a bar come off all of the legs. Then, the bar could be brought down so far, that they wheels would be off the ground. Would that work?

I will have to see if the place I get metal from, can get me 1/4 inch thick steel.

Any fab shop should be able to get you 1/2" easily, especially the small peice you want. Go talk to them tell them what your doing. They should almost give you a peice that size. I know that's how the guys are around here.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I would leave the wheels fixed to the side of the legs. Weld 1" or 3/4" hex nuts to the underside of the legs and screw in some longer bolts to jack the wheels off the ground and level the table.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Oilman
    Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:30 pm

You might want to check with any scrap metal yards in your area. I regularly buy all sorts of metal from several yards that have resale. The price is much cheaper that buying new. Because I am a "regular" and on good terms with one place I often get a considerable discount as well. So sometimes I have to do some metal finishing for rust or paint etc. This only costs me some time and elbow grease and a few sanding discs. Sometimes you strike out with these purchases. One time I bought some bar stock of unidentified steel. Turns out it was spec'd for tank armor and rather difficult to drill and tap holes in. :lol:

My weld table is 3/8" plate and gets welded on and ground off for positioning stops all the time. I also have drilled and taped holes for work holding bolts.

Some day i just might be able to afford one of those "hole'y" tables with slots for clamps etc.
1969 Idealarc 250
Miller 200 MIG
Everlast 200DV
Micro welder
Glowzinski

My mom looked around. haha She is a finder. ANYWAY, she found a place on craigslist. A scrap yard. They have all kinds of metal. Cut to the shape you need. I could get the piece I need, for I believe, $85. It is a bit of a drive, but that only adds to the fun.