Comments & questions on new & past videos
Ranger
    Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:00 pm

I would like some more information about the video .. I can't seem to understand why Jody keeps welding .25" plate with a 110v machine with shielded gas wire ??? The machine says it can't properly weld it but in Flux core mode it can handle it ..
I would like someone to weld 1/4" plate with both flux core and shielded gas wire ( Also .030 and .035 wire ) on a 110v machine and test the strengths and post there results Please ...

Thanks
Jason Sr :?:
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I watched that vid too....
You watched the arc shots, so did I, do you think they are to cold????

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:23 am

I'm no pro, but it seems that the puddle looked hot enough and he is welding 1/4" plate to 1/8" wall thickness on the hoist. I'll bet there was sufficient penetration in those welds. :)
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Ranger wrote:I would like some more information about the video .. I can't seem to understand why Jody keeps welding .25" plate with a 110v machine with shielded gas wire ??? The machine says it can't properly weld it but in Flux core mode it can handle it ..
I would like someone to weld 1/4" plate with both flux core and shielded gas wire ( Also .030 and .035 wire ) on a 110v machine and test the strengths and post there results Please ...
Thanks
Jason Sr,
I guess I am lost in the fact that you don't feel confident that this machine is capable enough to weld 1/4". Jody would not weld something that would be necessarily wrong or unsafe. One thing to always keep in mind, once he tacked or welded one bead, technically his part would be "pre-heated" and allow for more penetration. In the arc shots provided, I see good wet in and penetration.
I looked up the specs on the Alpha Mig 140 and did not find any mention of 1/4" capacity only with flux-core, maybe I missed it though.
I am assuming that you do not have or have not tried a 110v mig machine. They can surprise you if you set them right and do not exceed their limits. Unfortunately I no longer have a 110v machine or I would try to help you out.
Remember....Jody did state he was "Pushing the limits" on this machine.
-Jonathan
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Under normal circumstances using 75-25 as it probably wouldn't be hot enough but the 100% CO2 gives you
some added penetration. Don't think so? Try welding carbon steel with your 220v mig using pure argon.
Let us know how that works out. If you pay attention to the video Jody uses the thinner joints to preheat
the piece prior to welding the 1/4" up.

They say. They say a lot of things. They say you can't weld 1/2" aluminum with a Dynasty 200. Wanna bet?

It worked because an experienced welder reached into his bag of tricks and used that skill and knowledge
to push the limits of the machine that was available to him.
Ranger

Superiorwelding wrote:
Ranger wrote:I would like some more information about the video .. I can't seem to understand why Jody keeps welding .25" plate with a 110v machine with shielded gas wire ??? The machine says it can't properly weld it but in Flux core mode it can handle it ..
Thanks
Jason Sr,
I guess I am lost in the fact that you don't feel confident that this machine is capable enough to weld 1/4". Jody would not weld something that would be necessarily wrong or unsafe. One thing to always keep in mind, once he tacked or welded one bead, technically his part would be "pre-heated" and allow for more penetration. In the arc shots provided, I see good wet in and penetration.
I looked up the specs on the Alpha Mig 140 and did not find any mention of 1/4" capacity only with flux-core, maybe I missed it though.
I am assuming that you do not have or have not tried a 110v mig machine. They can surprise you if you set them right and do not exceed their limits. Unfortunately I no longer have a 110v machine or I would try to help you out.
Remember....Jody did state he was "Pushing the limits" on this machine.
-Jonathan
Jonathan,

Right now I am running a Lincoln 3200HD 110v welder.. I understand the preheating helps out alot but any 110v machine you can find (Except the Miller passport I think) says it can only weld 3/16" plate with a single pass with full penetration but 1/4" can be welded with a multi pass weld..What I am trying to understand is what is the difference in strength with Flux core vs Shield wire with Co2 ??
Right not I work outside building custom bumpers and general offroad parts .. I work mostly with 3/16" to 1/4" and some smaller stuff and I know I would be better off with a bigger machine like a Miller 211 which I would love to own but money is tight and this will have to do .. I have a tank of argon mix I use with sheet metal but I was looking a cheaper alternative for what I instead of paying the high prices of flux core wire ..Also does it matter when welding thicker pieces of metal as to what size wire you use (.030 vs .035) ???

Jason Sr
rake wrote:Under normal circumstances using 75-25 as it probably wouldn't be hot enough but the 100% CO2 gives you
some added penetration. Don't think so? Try welding carbon steel with your 220v mig using pure argon.
Let us know how that works out. If you pay attention to the video Jody uses the thinner joints to preheat
the piece prior to welding the 1/4" up.

They say. They say a lot of things. They say you can't weld 1/2" aluminum with a Dynasty 200. Wanna bet?

It worked because an experienced welder reached into his bag of tricks and used that skill and knowledge
to push the limits of the machine that was available to him.
I understand skills better than most people as to I am a 6th generation welder and I have no one I can talk too about using mig .. But I ask them about stick welding and I can get all the information I want ..
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

This is the chart for the new Hobart Handler 140. http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/p ... rt140.html It can weld 1/4" in a single pass. I weld 1/4" all the time with my older Handler 140 and it does a great job on it. I don't preheat and most of the time I am welding butt joints and T joints. I used flux core for about a year in the thing and I have been using gas for the past half year. I have had to reweld a bunch of flux core joints and have yet to reweld a gas joint. I haven't done any test but from everyday wear and tear the gas welds seem to hold up better. I am running .030 wire and 75/25 Argon CO2 mix.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Ranger

mcoe wrote:This is the chart for the new Hobart Handler 140. http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/p ... rt140.html It can weld 1/4" in a single pass. I weld 1/4" all the time with my older Handler 140 and it does a great job on it. I don't preheat and most of the time I am welding butt joints and T joints. I used flux core for about a year in the thing and I have been using gas for the past half year. I have had to reweld a bunch of flux core joints and have yet to reweld a gas joint. I haven't done any test but from everyday wear and tear the gas welds seem to hold up better. I am running .030 wire and 75/25 Argon CO2 mix.
Just a heads up if you reread the manual the for that model it won't even weld 3/16" according to Hobart's website and also if you look real close at 1/4" side there are stars which mean a multi pass weld is needed and not recommended for single pass..
rake

Ranger wrote:Just a heads up if you reread the manual the for that model it won't even weld 3/16" according to Hobart's website and also if you look real close at 1/4" side there are stars which mean a multi pass weld is needed and not recommended for single pass..
What do you mean it will not weld 3/16"???? I just told you above that I weld 1/4" all the time with out preheat with gas mix. I have had no trouble at all. I mostly do butt joints and if you ask me, it is harder to sink a good weld into an unbeveled butt joint with no gap. Most of the stuff I weld is unbeveled, ungapped butt joints. I know it does it, I don't have trouble, that is my experience. Take it for what it's worth.
Matt

Agreed....

Ranger,

I'll go take my hobart handler 135, and weld up some 1/4 t-joints, and bend them....

I'll try and get a couple pics.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

If I had a press I would do the same. I will try to get some pics this evening or tomorrow of some 1/4" welds.
Matt

The results are in! I just ran 4 outside corner joints on some 1/4" pieces, 1 was mig with 75/25 gas mix, 1 was flux core, 1 was 6013, and the last one was 7018. I kinda got hooked on beating the crap out of metal with a sledge hammer. The mig and flux core were done with a Hobart Handler 140 and the stick was done with the Everlast Super Ultra 205. I tried to be consistent with my hits. It took 20 hits on the mig and it folded flat. The bead itself cracked but didn't pull from the metal. The flux core took 15 hits and then broke right before flat. The 6013 run took 4 hits and broke (freakin slag inclusion) and the 7018 took 8 hits and broke right above flat. I ran the 6013 and 7018 at max recommended amps according to the manufactures. They were both 1/8" rods and the mig was .030 wire. I have pictures and I will post later.
Matt
rake

Image Image Image

Ok,

Got two pieces of 1/4 inch thick, 2inch wide flat bar....

Outside corner joint, bout a 1/8 gap.

HH135 maxed out.

I did two joints, one was a single weld, other was a 2pass.

Pics....

These three pics are of the single pass weld.

IMG_1623.JPG
IMG_1623.JPG (71.98 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
IMG_1624.JPG
IMG_1624.JPG (79.02 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Attachments
IMG_1625.JPG
IMG_1625.JPG (82.18 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

IMG_1634.JPG
IMG_1634.JPG (62.76 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1635.JPG (72.52 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
IMG_1637.JPG
IMG_1637.JPG (99.87 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1638.JPG (107.97 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1639.JPG (40.87 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
IMG_1641.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG (63.63 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Ok,

After spamming up this thread with nasty welds, I've got to explain whats going on.

The first weld was single pass, real slow, smashed it in the press, split on the toe of the weld.

I was using a 12ton press, it took some power, but it just broke.

Second weld I did was two passes, first was fast and small, second pass I did circles.

That really took some pressing, but it finally gave....

My verdict,
Even if a weld looks fused, it may just be setting on the surface.
Preheat makes a lot of difference....

Anyway.
Here's some vertical up, 1/4 t-joint no bevel.

3 passes....
IMG_1645.JPG
IMG_1645.JPG (98.44 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
IMG_1646.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG (104.29 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
IMG_1647.JPG
IMG_1647.JPG (99.6 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

These beads were run one after another....

Still to cold, but for most 1/15 mig jobs, it will work.

But,

Its what it is...

IMG_1648.JPG
IMG_1648.JPG (102.07 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024