Comments & questions on new & past videos

Hope everyone is doing well.

Jody

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Nice shirt might have to order it to go along with the other two. :D
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt

Thx. Sent you a pm. Sorry it took me so long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Jody,
Once again a excellent video! I have a request. Per discussions on dragging verses pulling the MIG gun, can you cut and etch that test piece in the video to show the penetration? I think it would be interesting for some to see.
-Jonathan

It pains me to say this but I agree with Jonathan. I noticed on the facebook page that there was a lot of people saying that you need to push solid wire and that pulling is wrong and some saying that only beginners pull. I would like to see the etch of the different techniques. I know what it looks like but others might not.
Matt

I saw that one guy said in 25 years of welding he had never seen anyone pull hard wire. I am speechless at a statement like that. How do you weld for that long and not encounter a situation where something is in your way that requires you to pull not push.
Anyway, I will see if I can locate the piece and cut polish and etch.

I know I was shocked. I have been welding for almost 10 years and it amazed me. He must be a production welder that welds A piece to B piece and moves it down the line. All my welding experience has been repair and fabrication and I switch technique constantly.
Matt

Thankyou matt for being a voice of reason here . I really think most of the push pull argument comes from guys in shops using spray transfer mig where pushing is the right and accepted method. Everyone else does whatever the individual situation calls for. I push and I pull without ever wondering if I am doing it right

I bet Jonathan is a mig pusher!!! What is your opinion Jonathan? :lol:
Matt

mcoe wrote:I bet Jonathan is a mig pusher!!! What is your opinion Jonathan? :lol:
Matt,
Sounds like you are setting me up ;)

I am a strong advocate to push solid wire, short circuit or spray. HOWEVER, Jody has proved in past videos that a drag method clearly has adequate penetration. I have done both, even dragging a spray when that's all I could do. Come to think of it I have even pushed 7018. I personally feel they all work. I am sure there is a application or welding engineer somewhere who might disagree or has a specific application where dragging is not sufficient.

Is that the answer you were after?
-Jonathan

I was just after some input, since you are the quiet type. :lol: What is everyone's opinion on this matter?
Matt

".....if you don't like the way I do it, I'll let you try it...." :D
-Jonathan

You really should become an instructor! You know the saying "those who can't do, teach!" :D
Matt

mcoe wrote:You really should become an instructor! You know the saying "those who can't do, teach!" :D
You know, here lately I think I can teach better than I can weld. Maybe a change is coming.....
-Jonathan

The hardest thing to argue with are results. I would personally never tell someone that pushing is wrong. If it works for you that's all that matters. When I have the chance I watch other folks weld and learn a lot if I keep an open mind.

admin wrote:The hardest thing to argue with are results. I would personally never tell someone that pushing is wrong. If it works for you that's all that matters. When I have the chance I watch other folks weld and learn a lot if I keep an open mind.

Results, hence the request for a cut and etch. If I were to train someone (and have) I train to push. Again, I cannot say that drag is wrong and I cannot find any evidence in the AWS standards as to which one would be "correct". It is like the myth of weld bead appearance. Nowhere in the AWS D1.1 standard to you find mention of ripples or a flat bead yet many say that one way is wrong.
-Jonathan

What is everyone's opinion on left vs right handed techniques. I notice a difference between the way I weld and the way a right handed person welds. Example, my welding technique is better than Jonathan's :lol: jk
Matt

Superiorwelding wrote:
admin wrote:The hardest thing to argue with are results. I would personally never tell someone that pushing is wrong. If it works for you that's all that matters. When I have the chance I watch other folks weld and learn a lot if I keep an open mind.

Results, hence the request for a cut and etch. If I were to train someone (and have) I train to push. Again, I cannot say that drag is wrong and I cannot find any evidence in the AWS standards as to which one would be "correct". It is like the myth of weld bead appearance. Nowhere in the AWS D1.1 standard to you find mention of ripples or a flat bead yet many say that one way is wrong.
-Jonathan
Jonathan, I cut one of the welds done in the video. ( it took more than one to do the video) all beads were done using pulling technique. I really think it boils down to whatever works for you.

best,
Jody
Attachments
cross section of weld done in Video pulling or drag
cross section of weld done in Video pulling or drag
pulling-etch-tee.jpg (42.56 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

Jody,
Thank you very much! Clearly there is adequate penetration with a pull/drag method. As a comparison I will try to run similar settings using a push method. I would have to agree, both methods work and boils down to which method one is most comfortable with.
-Jonathan

I was able so sneak this in today. I did the push method on three sides and drag on one. The drag method is the weld closest to you. I set the machine as close to Jody as possible and ran 75/25 gas at 25cfh. My conclusion is there is little to no difference in weld profile at these settings therefore either method is good. If anything, the drag has slightly better penetration.
-Jonathan
Attachments
photo (26).JPG
photo (26).JPG (140.94 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
photo (23).JPG
photo (23).JPG (138.83 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
photo (25).JPG
photo (25).JPG (128.78 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
photo (22).JPG
photo (22).JPG (88.02 KiB) Viewed 1210 times

Jonathan I concur the drag does seem to have slightly better penetration than push. I agree that either method is acceptable it just depends on joint configuration and accessibility as to what method is better.
Matt