Comments & questions on new & past videos
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:09 pm

I was expecting someone to say spray anti-spatter all over the place....that has never worked for me [WINKING FACE]
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Ok I'm a bit late to this party, but I have a totally different question about something in this picture originally posted by bluewave.

Are the radiused notches at the bend line of that plate put there on purpose? If so, what purpose does this serve in this fabrication?

Edit* see marked up pic below for clarification of my question
fabrication.jpg
fabrication.jpg (59.06 KiB) Viewed 646 times
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

John,
I would guess it would be to prevent cracking often associated with forming thicker members. Or is can be a stress relief but I would go with the crack prevention.
-Jonathan
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:John,
I would guess it would be to prevent cracking often associated with forming thicker members. Or is can be a stress relief but I would go with the crack prevention.
-Jonathan
Ah, OK...I thought maybe there was something more going on that I was aware of....trying to advance my small knowledge base....LOL

There are some bend radii "rules of thumb" that apply to bending plate and when these radii are exceeded, I guess something like this would serve to mitigate the cracking issues.

We had bent plate (90°) attached to the top flanges of beams and it was used as pour stop for concrete floor slabs. Many times the outfit that bent these for us used too small of a radius in their press break for the thickness of plate. If we didn't have time to send them back to be redone, we had to carbon arc the outside radius of the bends to removed the cracks and weld them back up.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector