Comments & questions on new & past videos
sambo1985
    Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks cj for the advice and kind words. And thanks for everyone else response. I just beat myself up sometimes. Im ocd at times lol
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

sambo1985 wrote:I switch between 1/16 filler and 3/32 filler. And using same matching size of tungsten for filler
3/32 wire on 14ga is just too darn thick in my opinion. Maybe for making a fillet weld or bridging a gap, but no way for a stringer bead.
sambo1985

I was running 64amps is that enough or to cold with th 1/16
cj737

It should be plenty, provided you don't feed too much wire in too fast.

Bear in mind, adding filler cools your puddle. Get the puddle to right heat so as to weld but not blow out, then suddenly here comes a big wad of weld wire. Blam-mo! Puddle gets cold. So you have to "work" that added metal into the surrounding metal by raising the temperature. Then travel, then add, then repeat. It's just downright "it all depends" on the circumstances.

Just practice a little bit with 1/16-1/16 on 14ga using basically the same amps. Travel further between adding wire. Come back the other way and add wire faster. Take notice of the differences. More wire=more heat required. Faster travel and you can get away with more heat because you aren't staying in one place.

By the way, are you using a pedal or static amperage?
sambo1985

Not allowed to use pedal. Using the great lift arc start. Not a big fan of it. But its baby steps lol
cj737

Lift Arc is a substitute for HF start or Scratch start. All 3 can still use a pedal. But I'll interpret what you meant is static amps. ;) School boy!

Try lowering your amps to 60 and run it. Then try 55. Then 50. You'll find a sweet spot for your speed and wire sizes.