It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:29 pm Advanced search

Lincoln Excalibur vs Hobart from Tractor Supply

Comments & questions on new & past videos

Lincoln Excalibur vs Hobart from Tractor Supply

Postby admin » Wed May 03, 2017 10:16 am

https://goo.gl/BdnW6u

Differences in 7018 and single pass vs multi pass with weave on second pass...Cut, Etch, Learn.
Best to you and yours,

jody

admin

Re: Lincoln Excalibur vs Hobart from Tractor Supply

Postby Otto Nobedder » Wed May 03, 2017 11:00 pm

I've been doing a lot of cut-etch-learn lately. Some of my stuff gets x-rayed, dye-pen'd, helium leak tested, and/or overpressure tested, but none of these are as informative as physically seeing the fusion and penetration in a weld.

I enjoyed watching you burn some 7018! I'm rather out of practice, myself, and it might take several rods to get back to the rhythm.

Steve
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Poleframer » Sat May 06, 2017 12:57 pm

7018 has always been my go to for welding. I am a bit pissed at firepower tho. For years I'd been buying firepower 7018 at napa, and LOVED it' When you opened the 5 lb box, there was your rod, sealed tight in a heavy plastic bag, dry as a bone.
If I just had occasional welds to do I would just poke 1 rod through the bag, and feed them out through that as needed, and keep it in a blue tube for storage. They kept very well even through the winters in my shed that way.
Then a couple years ago...no plastic bag. Burned about like the rods from hobart or radnor, sucked. I was upset. I think even the moisture they pick up in shipping and sitting in a store affects them.
Heating helps, but they arent like factory fresh.
Might have to give excalibur a go.
Poleframer
Workhorse

Postby Farmwelding » Sat May 06, 2017 1:28 pm

I haven't done much at all woth 7018 but I absolutely love those excaliburs. Every once in sheik I'll grab a different one and the arc is just so different and then an Excalibur and smooth sailing again.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Return to Video Discussion