Comments & questions on new & past videos
CJones
    Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:13 pm

I'm new to TIG welding. In fact, I just received my first TIG welder yesterday and waiting for the air gun to arrive since the water cooler is on back order. I'm building maple syrup equipment for my operation since purchasing this equipment is so frickin expensive. I saw a video Jody did on welding weldable pipe fittings to a specific ANSI (or other standard) that requires a 1/16 Gap prior to starting the weld to avoid welded in stresses. I will be welding similar fittings in stainless for an RO system and a filter press. I'm wondering if I should follow that same standard. Part of my concern is leaving a small gap inside the pipe that could trap syrup over time and cause contamination issues. Does anyone know if I should risk the small amount of internal stress to keep a tight fit? The RO runs at 250 psi and the filter press will Max at 80 psi.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Hi CJ,
pressure pipe welding is the top of the game. There are implications and liability involved. Usually people get into pipe welding tuition after minimum 200 hrs experience then do the tuition which also includes the theory so you understand what is actually going on while you're melting metal and what the all the variables are doing to your work. You can't just buy a power source and get into pipe welding and be pleased with the outcome. You could even end up broke or in a place where you don't wanna drop the soap, worst case scenario.
My advice is to hire someone in and be their helper so you can start learning.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Part of my concern is leaving a small gap inside the pipe that could trap syrup over time and cause contamination issues.
i'll add that food grade stainless is right up near the top of the game.
also i think your missing the point thats there is no gap after welding. that gap is filled in by weld metal, if anything you might have some reinforcement sticking out, which is a place you can get food stuck. typically you want to weld it with as flush as possible inside weld (at least for low pressure).
don't forget all the purge gear you will need.

nothing worse than having product recalled because it failed testing due to contamination because the cleaning system can't get the bits trapped on the welds.

i'm in food/farming industry and even i leave food grade tubing to the pro's.
tweak it until it breaks