Comments & questions on new & past videos
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Good video this week Jody. But I think you made a small error in the title. Here, fixed it for ya!

Tig welding techniques like walking the cup by a tig finger pimp

Question; When you were welding the root pass on V-ground plates it appeared like you were going pretty fast with your "walk". Was that sped up or is that to keep from melting away the bottom edges of the plates? (I've never tried it)

Thanks again for your videos!
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Good technique demonstration in that video.

As an aside, had someone at the shop wanting to try our way of welding. I pulled my tig finger out and asked him if he wanted to try it and he pulled one of his own out of his pocket. :)
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.

Fat Bob wrote:

Question; When you were welding the root pass on V-ground plates it appeared like you were going pretty fast with your "walk". Was that sped up or is that to keep from melting away the bottom edges of the plates? (I've never tried it)
I think the "walk" motion was not sped up in the video...I was wiggling the torch pretty fast and trying to limit sideways motion but travel speed was actually not all that fast. . On the second pass I was weaving and hand motion slowed down a lot.

regards,
jody
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

admin wrote:
Fat Bob wrote:

I think the "walk" motion was not sped up in the video...I was wiggling the torch pretty fast and trying to limit sideways motion but travel speed was actually not all that fast. . On the second pass I was weaving and hand motion slowed down a lot.

regards,
jody
Thanks Jody,. I guess it was the slower and wider second pass that made me realize how fast you walking the cup on the first. I need to get out some thick plate an give it a shot...Time to get out of my "comfort zone". :)
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.