Comments & questions on new & past videos

Hey folks,
Over the past week I watched some videos on scratch start tig pipe welding using an old engine drive Lincoln. The guy was big on old engine drives and thinks the welding current works better on pipe root passes than newer machines that have a smoother arc.

The crudest tig welding setup I have is a Lincoln tombstone buzz box with a home made rectifier so I figured I would hook it up along with a foot switch I made

I am not much of an electrician but some comments on youtube said that my rectifier was not smoothing the current so I am getting sort of a pulse effect. Thats interesting and from the look of the puddle , it makes sense....and I think that might be the same effect the old engine drives give.

I am going to try make at least one more video and several more welds using this scratch start rig. the next one will be 2" stainless tubing without filler like what is done in food and beverage work.

here is the link to the first video page and also there is a comment box in case you want to weigh in there.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/scr ... elder.html

and a big thanks to everyone who hangs out here and contributes,
jody
    Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Thanks for this and the other scratch start TIG video.

I've just gotten the supplies together to do this and need all the help I can.
Switching off like that is a good idea, but there has got to be a better way with a footswitch and heavy relays.

I'll see how it goes.

I'd also llike to see a future video on 1/16 6013 doing sheet metal.
I can do aright with 1/8" 7018 but those little rods are different and I'm not sure how.