Comments & questions on new & past videos
charlie
    Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:24 pm

I've just finished watching this weeks video. At the end of the video, when Jody is giving the machine settings used for the different processes, he refers to the setting for "dig". At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, I was wondering if some one could explain to me the definition of "dig".

thanks, Charlie
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Sure.

"Dig" is a current-compensating feature availible on inverters and many higher-end transformer machines.

The "dig" setting controls how the computer in the machine responds to voltage changes... With the dig set high, when you get too close (almost stick the rod), the machine ups the current a lot to save you from sticking.

You'd think, then, you'd always want the dig set high, but no. You want it no higher than your own ability to control the arc, as those current variations from dig make it harder to lay an even bead. I didn't see a "dig" control for the first 15 years I welded.

Hope this helps.

Steve S
deebs
    Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Sure.

"Dig" is a current-compensating feature availible on inverters and many higher-end transformer machines.

The "dig" setting controls how the computer in the machine responds to voltage changes... With the dig set high, when you get too close (almost stick the rod), the machine ups the current a lot to save you from sticking.

You'd think, then, you'd always want the dig set high, but no. You want it no higher than your own ability to control the arc, as those current variations from dig make it harder to lay an even bead. I didn't see a "dig" control for the first 15 years I welded.

Hope this helps.

Steve S
Excellent explanation!! Thanks -
charlie
    Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Otto,
Thanks for the explanation. That explains why I didn't understand it. I haven't gotten to stick yet and I'm not working with an inverter. I learned to tig on an ancient syncrowave that is set up tig specific with the stick functions deleted. So it is normal for me to not be familiar with the nuances of that process. Just as a "heads-up",I'm a total rookie so you can expect plenty more odd ball questions in the near future.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

You'll find a "dig" control on a Syncrowave 250 that has stick functions... It's the same knob as "arc balance" for HFAC TIG, on the machines I usually use, and is actually marked "Balance/Dig" on those machines.

"Balance" does nothing except in HFAC mode, and "Dig" does nothing except in SMAW (stick) mode.

Smaller inverter for stick often have a four position switch, marked "6010 soft", "6010 crisp", "7018 soft", and "7018 crisp". The difference between soft and crisp is the "dig" setting, and the difference between 6010 and 7018 (I believe) is the open-circuit voltage. (When I say "smaller inverters", take that with a grain of salt. I've used some that were not much bigger than a satchel, that were 3-phase powered.)

Any question you ask here, we'll do our best to answer.

Steve S