Comments & questions on new & past videos
debellis2
    Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm

i just finished watching your video for the 6g-7018 carbon steel pipe test. i am very familiar with the procedure and have acquired a decent technique, however i struggle with cooling between passes. how much would you recommend i let the pipe cool down. also would you recommend i let it cool almost completely before running the cover pass. any tips on this would be very much appreciated.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate,

Welcome to the forum, all welcome here.

Im going to move your topic to the video discussion thread, youll get more info there.

Mick
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

On carbon steel, I rarely let the pipe cool any longer than it takes to dress the last pass with a wire wheel. Carbon steel conducts the heat away much more effectively than stainless. A "hot pass" is what it sounds like, too. The steel is still hot, enabling you to burn the top of your root into the bevel. If you're welding small bore, or a short coupon with nowhere for the heat to go, a minute or two with a blower on an air line can help you avoid undercut on the cap, but generally, interpass temperatures are not critical on most carbon pipe.

For a test, you can do root and hot/fill almost back-to-back, and milk the clock for a bit for confidence in your cap, but it's not really needed. Coupons are usually cut to a length that can carry the heat, so you can complete in a timely fashion.

Steve S