Comments & questions on new & past videos
spiritwalker
    Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:12 pm

I regularly weld 3/8 inch and better steel at 25.5 v and 355 ipm. I was wondering if changing the inductance settings will have the same effect at that voltage and wire speed. Thanks.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The primary purpose of the inductance options are for selecting between short-circuit, globular transfer, and spray-arc welding.

The Lincoln CV305, for example, has two options, selected by where you attach the ground to the machine. The low-inductance setting is preferred for short-circuit GMAW. The high setting is for globular xfer and spray-arc. If your machine has an inductive mid-range, you can assume what the additional division is.

As long as the setting you're using matches the process you're doing, you won't get any improvement by changing. I have played with this on the CV-305. Moving to high-inductance (when I MIG, it's all short-circuit, as it's rarely flat), I found harder starts, with more spatter at the start, and a longer arc-stabilization time.

The info on the CV-305 comes from here:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Eq ... ct=K2400-1

The rest is personal experience.

Steve S
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

I've noticed higher inductance seems to have less of a crown I'm using a mm 350 p miller could just be me though!