Comments & questions on new & past videos
MikeD
    Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:55 pm

I'd like to know what video camera and editing software Jody is using. I seem to remember him mentioning this in one of his posts but I cannot find it :cry:

If anyone knows please email me here: mike (at) w4xn (dot) com

Thanks,

Mike
http://www.w4xn.com
Charlottesville, VA
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

MikeD wrote:I'd like to know what video camera and editing software Jody is using. I seem to remember him mentioning this in one of his posts but I cannot find it :cry:

If anyone knows please email me here: mike (at) w4xn (dot) com

Thanks,

Mike
http://www.w4xn.com
Charlottesville, VA

I'm pretty sure its His "personal" secret. Could be wrong though?
Jody?
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I've had this conversation with Jody.

He uses a basic, off the shelf DVR/DVD camcorder, and if I recall, no shielding of any kind... Just the auto-settings.

Your typical I-phone does not have the auto-range adjustments of a mid-quality camcorder.

Steve S
MikeD

Steve,

Gosh, I'm almost certain Jody posted some specifics about his camera and/or sofware within a couple of months past. I'm on 3 wks vacation on Kauai and on a small and very slow computer else I'd do an extensive search. I tried a rudimmentary search and it yielded nothing. For some reason I'm thinking he uses a GOPRO camera and, if so, wanted to pick one up at the local Costo while here.

Jody, if you see this post kindly reply.

Regards,

Mike
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Its amazing the video quality He gets :shock:
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

MikeD wrote:Steve,

Gosh, I'm almost certain Jody posted some specifics about his camera and/or sofware within a couple of months past. I'm on 3 wks vacation on Kauai and on a small and very slow computer else I'd do an extensive search. I tried a rudimmentary search and it yielded nothing. For some reason I'm thinking he uses a GOPRO camera and, if so, wanted to pick one up at the local Costo while here.

Jody, if you see this post kindly reply.

Regards,

Mike
My converstion with Jody was probably almost two years ago, and he may have upgraded his equipment since then...

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I used to take 35mm photo's of welding & at 6 > 8 feet away the camera coped fairly well - but close up arc shots were too bright - I used * 4 or * 8 neutral density filter to overcome this - I suspect digital's will behave in a similar way - so if your going for close up shots either use a light shade welding glass trimmed to fit a filter holder or neutral density - don't risk getting splatter on the lens or doing permanent damage to the sensor - judging by the color of the arc in both Jody's & Lanse's later video's I think it's likely their taken behind the new Balder - Jackson helmet as they both have them & not much else has that same bluish tint.
MikeD

noddybrian wrote: ... snip...if your going for close up shots either use a light shade welding glass trimmed to fit a filter holder or neutral density - don't risk getting splatter on the lens or doing permanent damage to the sensor ..snip...
Hi Brian,

Most of my videos will be in the machine shop with only a little welding. Am looking at the GOPRO series of camcorders right now. Have much more info to gather prior to making a purchase though it may happen today.

Mike
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I've not been into camera's since it went digital - but have helped a few people out with digital that lacked any camera experience - from what I've seen of the results from Go Pro's they seem good - but I question if it's right for you or cost effective - their main claim to fame is the toughness of the outer protective case for extreme conditions in sport type use - it puts alot on the price if you don't require it - it would seem most even quite low budget video cameras will give good results if all you want is to set it up on a tripod for welding video's - the only thing I would advise is as per any decent camera - protect the lens - even if you only screw a "skylight" filter on to save it - I would expect neutral density to act in a similar way to a welding lens for close up work with the advantage of keeping good color rendition & CPL may also help to reduce flaring from aluminum / stainless - but that's only an opinion based on how film cameras behaved - if you don't discover what Jody uses try asking Lanse - he gets some good shots & is a nice guy - will usually answer questions direct from his Utube channel.