Comments & questions on new & past videos

A little while ago I posted here http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... 399#p33399 about this topic. I think this video does a better job explaining it than my post did. What do you think?
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Excellent video - I'd never thought of using those roloc discs - at college all we had was sheets of " wet & dry " paper of various grades on plate glass - did have one powered disc - but that was a cloth covered thing that diamond paste was applied to just for finishing - spent many many hours hand sanding test pieces - it was alot more fun to pull stuff apart on the Dennison - also never thought of using phosphoric acid - I did'nt realize it reacted that way - in the past I'd used nitric - then that got very difficult to find due to our nanny state that worried as it's needed to produce most common primary explosives - luckily now it's available on good old Ebay - not sure if they monitor sales though - best not bulk buy mercury thermometers at the same time !
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

Awesome.
Here in Australia it can be very hard to get chemicals.
Nitric acid is a good example as it is a bomb precursor.

I'll def remember the "easy off" method.
We have that brand here.
Also got a mate that's a chemist for locktite Australia (they shutting shop soon btw)
So I'll see if he can get me a bottle, as I not seen that product b4 on shelf.
I have a soldering iron!
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

great video thank you
coldman
  • coldman

When I did my macros I went to my LWS and the only thing they could sell me was the stainless steel weld tarnish remover with the fluro toxic shite. Now I have that stuff in my workshop and it bothers the hell out of me. I have it in a second sealed plastic bucket for safe keeping for when I do staino next. I never thought to use rust converter, already had some. :roll:
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Jody,
That was a very good video. I will have to make a trip to the store and get to etching. I have some T1 samples I never got around to checking, now would be a good time.
-Jonathan
JDIGGS82

I just went out to home depot and bought the naval jelly gonna test some of my overhead and vert up welds will post results soon! next day or so
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Nitric is often still available despite it's use in " primaries " ! - Ebay is such a wonderful place - just do a search for " gold testing kit " ! - that's how I first found it - just decide how much " gold testing kit " you require - it's available here from 1/4 liter upwards - though I believe large quantities are shipped in individual smaller containers - so if you order 20 liters it may come as 20 * 1liter or 4 * 5liter to get round the hazmat laws - just don't order mercury at the same time ( yes thats also available ! "
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Jody - thanks for the excellent video - very informative :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
JDIGGS82

image.jpg
image.jpg (22.2 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
here's my over head I cut and etched one side looks decent other side angle was off
Adding second pic didn't turn out as good kinda rushed through the polishing to get it done not near as defined
image.jpg
image.jpg (23.73 KiB) Viewed 3863 times