Comments & questions on new & past videos
spiritwalker
    Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:12 pm

I was wondering why anyone would use .035 er70s-6, short circuit, 19.5v @260ipm for such thick material? I routinely weld steel that is anywhere from 1/4 inch to 1.5 inches and better and use no less than 25.0v @ 350 ipm using .052 wire. I would think that you would not get very good penetration at such low settings. Thanks for your response.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

spiritwalker wrote:I was wondering why anyone would use .035 er70s-6, short circuit, 19.5v @260ipm for such thick material? I routinely weld steel that is anywhere from 1/4 inch to 1.5 inches and better and use no less than 25.0v @ 350 ipm using .052 wire. I would think that you would not get very good penetration at such low settings. Thanks for your response.
Well mate,
I'm afraid you stepped across the line.
No one challenges Master Yoda.

Ok,
Just kidding. ;) ;)

You saw him test it on that 1/4" plate, and saw how strong it was.
Are you welding "Uphill" bare wire mig with 25.0v???

When you weld uphill, you can use lower volts/heat, and still get good penetration.

Surprised Jody hasn't chimed in here.

Boss??
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Not every challenge requires your time...

John, I think you gave a good answer, so why would Yoda need to add his two cents?

;)
spiritwalker
    Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:12 pm

Wasn't meaning to challenge anyone but what I make requires a very long service life for hundreds of thousands of miles. Our procedures do no allow for any uphill and very limited downhill welding. Because of this, we have a strong track record with our customers. So, for me it was more for curiosity's sake than anything else. Thanks for your answers.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

spiritwalker wrote:Wasn't meaning to challenge anyone but what I make requires a very long service life for hundreds of thousands of miles. Our procedures do no allow for any uphill and very limited downhill welding. Because of this, we have a strong track record with our customers. So, for me it was more for curiosity's sake than anything else. Thanks for your answers.

Hey,
I said I was kidding....
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

spiritwalker wrote:Wasn't meaning to challenge anyone but what I make requires a very long service life for hundreds of thousands of miles. Our procedures do no allow for any uphill and very limited downhill welding. Because of this, we have a strong track record with our customers. So, for me it was more for curiosity's sake than anything else. Thanks for your answers.
This was meant as banter, but now you have me curious, from your wording.

"Procedures don't allow "any" uphill, and very limited downhill..."

So, you make every effort to weld in the flat position?
I get that. Makes perfect sense.
But, when out-of-position welds are called for, why would "uphill" be disallowed, rather than "downhill"? This defies logic.

Steve S