Comments & questions on new & past videos

I just finished watching the Mig Welding Basics Part 1 video that showed up in my email.

In the video, it asked for comments.

This video appears on the main page (with link www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/mig-welding-basics.html), but it is also hosted on YouTube (YouTube Video 5KrwmK7df-s).

It would be great if a thread with the same name (i.e. Mig Welding Basics Part 1) existed and both the video and the article on the main page gave that link. This way, if someone wants to comment on the video, they can add their comments along with everyone else's comments about the same video.

I had something I was going to add as a comment, but I don't log in very often. By the time I had my password reset, I forgot what I was going to comment about.
Last edited by jp2code on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

I saw it.
Definitely a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

It's a great idea. We'll go ahead and start with this one here if no one's beaten me to it yet.

Thanks for the feedback!
harleychief
    Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Jody, you've made a lot of great videos, and you make the explanations simple and easy to understand, so thanks. My question is about the gas setting for MIG welding. Is there a rule of thumb for what CFM should be set with the regulator when using C-25, Argon, etc?
thanks,
Charlie
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

These videos are great! ... They are just like the old "cliff hangers" in the movie theaters.... you are watching, really getting interested, and it's over till the next one...

Jody, your videos got me going on wanting to do more fab work at home and enticed me to purchase a Dynasty 200DX... Wow, it is so cool to use in comparison to my old scratch start!

Looking forward to more of this video to see how I should be using my Hobart 150 ... it's somewhat limited with only 4 voltage-tap settings :(
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

harleychief wrote:Jody, you've made a lot of great videos, and you make the explanations simple and easy to understand, so thanks. My question is about the gas setting for MIG welding. Is there a rule of thumb for what CFM should be set with the regulator when using C-25, Argon, etc?
thanks,
Charlie
I can't offer a "rule of thumb", but I can suggest...

In calm air, 25 CFH (not cfm, thank God) is sufficient for all flat and groove welds. For fillets, 15-20 CHF will do, again in still air. For an outside corner, 30-35 CFH.

If you're working outside in the breeze, build wind-breaks, and adjust flow accordingly.

Steve S
oly51
    Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:01 pm

It might be a good idea to mention that to get an accurate gas flow rate, the regulator should be set with the trigger pulled and the gas flowing.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

oly51 wrote:It might be a good idea to mention that to get an accurate gas flow rate, the regulator should be set with the trigger pulled and the gas flowing.
Good point. I only use "float-ball" flowmeters, that can ONLY be set while flowing, so this is a good reminder for those with two-stage regulator type flowmeters.

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing some pulse spray mig vertical or overhead.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing some pulse spray mig vertical or overhead.
I don't think spray will work in the overhead position. Will it?

Spray in the vertical doesn't do well, either.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

jp2code wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing some pulse spray mig vertical or overhead.
I don't think spray will work in the overhead position. Will it?

Spray in the vertical doesn't do well, either.

I think pulse spray works all position.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024