Comments & questions on new & past videos

Discussion & Comments about the Mig Welding Basics Part 2 video.

Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

Ok I got one.
How to set from short circuit to spray transfur?
Is there a differant sound?
Are setting (voltage) height for spray?
For some reason when doing my weld tests I was using .8mm (.030") 24v and 8mtr/min
But doing a break test it only just got peno in the very cnr.
I was not allowed to do a weave of any kind (lower case e or other)
I have a soldering iron!

> How to set from short circuit to spray transfer?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but given a Voltage and Wire Feed setting:
  • short circuit would be the wire speed going almost too fast for the voltage.
  • spray will occur when you either slow the wire speed down or turn the voltage up just a little bit.
  • globbular transfer will occur when you either turn the wire speed down more or voltage up a little more.
Did I get that right?
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

I would assume that the topic of short circuit and spray transfer will be clearly demonstrated in upcoming segments. There is a lot for Jody to cover here!

Jody, feel free to make your segments "LONGER" it's a long week waiting for the next!! :D
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

jp2code wrote:> How to set from short circuit to spray transfer?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but given a Voltage and Wire Feed setting:
  • short circuit would be the wire speed going almost too fast for the voltage.
  • spray will occur when you either slow the wire speed down or turn the voltage up just a little bit.
  • globbular transfer will occur when you either turn the wire speed down more or voltage up a little more.
Did I get that right?
Actually short circuit, spray, and globbular are different settings. On your larger machines, larger than the Hobart he is using, some have the option to switch from short circuit to spray or to globbular. I am sure that Jody will cover that. I am not familiar with these different functions. I am just familiar with short circuit. Did that help?
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Short Circuit, as the name implies, produces the weld heat and molten metal when the wire contacts the puddle, and the current melts the end of the wire, briefly interupting the current until the wire contacts the puddle again. This cycle makes the "frying eggs" sound.

Spray transfer (requires a higher argon concentration, using gasses like 90/10 and 98/2), has a high voltage for the wire speed, so an arc-spray of molten metal forms as the wire leaves the tip. The hig heat and fluidity of the metal limit this to flat or near-flat positions, but it makes a smooth, machine-like bead.

Globular transfer lies in the middle, and I have no pracitcal experience with it, so I'll wait for the comments of others before parroting whatever Wikipedia says...

Steve S
BULL
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:34 am

In mig welding basics part 2 Jody spoke of common gases used with mig welding , like co2 , argon and 75/25 argon co2 also 90/10 . How about Carbon dioxide ? I have an old linde mig that has a carbon dioxide bottle attached with it how does this gas compare thank you.
BULL
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:34 am

Excuse the bonehead post carbon dioxide is co2 duh yeah got a beginner here
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

BULL wrote:Excuse the bonehead post carbon dioxide is co2 duh yeah got a beginner here
Started to worry for a minute :oops:
Watch Jodys video with the portable CO2 bottle...
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/115-volt-mig.html
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Here are screenshots from Esab University's MIG CD rom. This disc was free from Esab (so not a copyright infringement or TOS violation). Haven't yet figured out how to insert multiple images in one post, so looks like one image in many posts.

Short arc, part 1
short arc 1.jpg
short arc 1.jpg (65.03 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Short arc, part 2
short arc 2.jpg
short arc 2.jpg (58.13 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Dave
aka "RTFM"