Comments & questions on new & past videos

taking a break from the mig series so here is part 1 of Tig Basics
just like the mig series , this is going to take a lot of videos to cover the basics
best,

Jody
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I don't think it can be said enough - so thank you very much for posting tig videos :D
(And videos in general)

Strictly because of your channel I added tig welding to my part-time shop 2-3 years ago - best thing I ever did!

Thanks again - did I mention the tig finger is awesome :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Thanks again Jody for another sensational effort. Your training videos are always appreciated, and I find that there's always something new to learn.
Cheers
Trevor
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I felt like that video was sort of aimed at me a with my AC tig machine question. :) Very helpful like always thanks for posting.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

100K subscribers!! Awesome... these videos are great... the more detail the better, there's always something to learn!
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Agreed.

I hope one day I find myself in his neck of the woods, or vice-versa. I'd be pleased to shake his hand, and maybe drink a beer and shoot a game of pool.

Steve S
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

A suggestion for a future TIG overview video, and possibly a future MIG Basics video too: a discussion on how to set shielding gas flow rate would dovetail nicely with the how-to theme.

Thanks for another great video!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Wen
  • Wen
    Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Jody:
Really enjoy the welding videos. You have a natural way of teaching complicated processes that is very easy to watch and understand. I've learned so many things from watching you weld, and from listening to your instructions. I does irritate me that you make it look SO easy. Jeez, nothing to it, just go out to the shop and weld like Jody. Hah!

I would like to hear you discuss the feeding of the TIG rod into the puddle. Where do you aim the rod? Do you fly the rod all the way into the weld puddle, or do you land the rod short of the puddle and skootch (not a welding term) it into the puddle?

I can fly the tungsten pretty well now, but I struggle to get that clean "dab dab dab" effect that you so effortlessly achieve. The end of the TIG rod waves around like a baton down in Ferguson. I try and choke up on the rod and that helps. Stainless rod seems to feed the best for me, as far as being smooth. Aluminum is next easiest, and steel seems like it just drags and skids, not smooth at all.

Again, thank you for your videos. Long live the TIG finger... :)
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Wen,

Try bending a small 90° on the long end of your filler rod if its the back end you are having issues with. Why it works, I don't know, but it helps cut back on the wave. Dude, the Ferguson comment had me rolling around laughing....classic.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Soon2GetIt
    Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:54 pm

Jody, thank you for the insight. Today was day one with Tig for me.
My questions-
1. The tungsten rods are about 6 inches long. Can I just cut 'em in half and sharpen both ends? This would save me some time and keep me arcing more. Its a seat time thing- I'm going to need a lot.

2. This Everlast DV 200 is a dual voltage Tig/Stick machine. Can decent Tig beads come from 110VAC?

3. When am I going to see a Weldmonger Welding jacket in your store? Weldmonger gloves????
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Soon2GetIt,

I have to "LIKE" suggestion #3!

As for the other comments, I quit sharpening both ends a long time ago... Often I have to sharpen because a weld "puked" on me, and there's a buildup that won't pass through a collet.

And, I've done ASME code welds with a 110V machine... (An ESAB 95i)

Steve S
TWings
    Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:38 am

Extremely insightful video, thank you. Humbled by the knowledge required to start to become proficient at TIG welding, but figure we all have to start somewhere. Best wishes, TWings