Comments & questions on new & past videos
Chris Wilson
    Mon May 19, 2014 10:09 am

Hi, new here, have there been any videos of correct usage of TIG gas lenses? I am not sure just when their use is appropriate, and how to tell junk ones from worthwhile ones. Ebay can be very confusing! Thanks.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Chris,
I use gas lenses and have for quite awhile but everything that can be welded, has been welded without a gas lense. My suggestion is to use them when you know that you'll not be dipping your tungsten. By your question, I would be lead to believe that you're a beginner at Tig and that translates to dipping your tungsten a lot. This causes the puddle to flare up and leaves BB's stuck to the screen and eventually ruins the gas lense. I'd learn with a regular collet body and then switch to a gas lense when you get to the point where this rarely happens.

To the question of quality, I've never noticed a big difference in name brand and no-name brands, none of them last forever unless there are ones that I haven't tried yet. As long as the screen stays clean and the threads remain in tact there's not a whole lot else to fail.

When to use them? If you need more stick out than you can get with a regular collet body and still keep your tungsten cool like welding in a tight inside corner. When your welding exotic metals that are very sensitive to the atmosphere and need lots of sheilding gas coverage. But there is nothing to say though that you can't use them for everything from now until the end of your welding days or never use one in your life, they're just another tool to be used.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Chris Wilson
    Mon May 19, 2014 10:09 am

Great answer Len, thanks very much for taking the time to go into detail. You're right, I am a realtive beginner, and dipping the tungsten is not an infrequent occurrence :) I'll stick with the basics until I get more profficient. I have been welding aluminium alloys with just a torch switch as my foot pedal was inoperative, and I'd never used it. I fixed it last night and had a play using current control this morning. What a difference!!! I hadn't realised just how much easier it would be with the ability to ramp up and down at will. I have also been welding at the bench stood up, and I think i need a welding table I can my knees under, and a seat, as I tend to waver about a bit, (even before the pubs open). I'll be sorting a more elegant welding station out next. Thanks again.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Braehill wrote: When to use them? If you need more stick out than you can get with a regular collet body and still keep your tungsten cool like welding in a tight inside corner.....
Len
COOL???? Come on Len you know better than that. Coverage not necessarily cool. ;) :lol: :lol:
-Jonathan
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Chris,
In your case where you're welding mostly Aluminum you should be in no hurry to switch to a gas lense. With Aluminum everytime you dip the filler rod the puddle rises to meet the electrode so dipping is more likely when learning. I still use a standard collet body to weld Aluminum and still dip the electrode on occasion, some guys never use them and that's fine too.

@ Jonathan,
It is if we're talking about insurance coverage after my wife hits a deer in her brand new Subaru. :)

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len