Comments & questions on new & past videos

6010 5p root pass.
There are lots of different schemes and techniques so I would like to hear what everyone else does.
For example: what gap and land? what amperage? any certain technique that works for you? hopefully 2" schedule 80 pipe 6010 root video will be coming soon.
Best to all,
Jody
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jody,

I agree, I like a 1/8" gap and 3/32 land for stick-on-pipe work.

I was never particularly good with the whip/pause method. One day, a 20-year journeyman showed my the bury-rod technique, and it's been my go-to ever since.

I'll run a 1/8" 6010 at 105A (Lincoln 275 Invertec, as one example). I'm almost obligated to run a "hot pass" to burn out the toes, because the profile of a "bury-rod" root can trap a lot of crap a wire-wheel won't get, but at 105A, the only concern is suck-back from under-filling the bottom.'

With a proper hot-pass, allowing all the slag to be wheeled off, I can then cap with 1/8" 7018 at that same 105A.

I'm interested in trying what you demonstrate, but I haven't had cause to stick-weld in a couple years, as my critical work is now exclusively TIG, and all the non-critical is MIG.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Jody,
Yet another great video. I felt really ashamed when I read your email though. I did not take the time to thank you for helping us with all the tests we just took. On the 3G 7018 tests we sat in the office several times watching your past videos. I watched your SMAW 2" and GTAW video I don't know how many times before I went out and struck a arc. You helped all three if us more than you think and I didn't even thank you.

So, thank you for not only the videos but for "being there" for all of us when we need the help. Day or night we can watch a video and with your easy to understand and down and dirty method, we ALL learn something. You played a big part on my 2" tests as well as the plate ones. Thank you very much!!

As for this video, besides pipe, I have never attempted a open root 3G. I will have to give it a try and post the results.
-Jonathan
P.S. That test stand is very cool, can't wait to see more of it.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Jody,
Please do some downhill roots with 1/8" and 5/32" 6010.

Thanks,
~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Jonathan , no thanks are in order. If We all wake up every day and do what we know I think the world gets better for everyone. I should be thanking you for your work on this forum.
Best, jody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKweldshop wrote:Jody,

Thanks,
~John
Hey john
I suck pretty bad at downhill but I plan on learning it. Gotta get some 5/32

Best
Jody

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

admin wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:Jody,

Thanks,
~John
Hey john
I suck pretty bad at downhill but I plan on learning it. Gotta get some 5/32

Best
Jody

Downhill is a skill too.... :D
I'm teaching myself downhill 6010, and still having trouble with roots.
I'm using 1/8" mostly, but 5/32" is what they use on big pipe, so I hear.

Thanks Jody.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024