Comments & questions on new & past videos

Merry Christmas Everyone!
I hope everyone has a good and safe holiday time...

Jody
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Jody,
Very nice welds there! I will pass this video on to a friend that had questions about overlapping SMAW passes.

Thanks for a great year of awesome videos. We all look forward to what you have in store for the coming year.
-Jonathan

Thx Jonathan. And thanks for all your help too. Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

It's funny you should post this, when I was working on the fire pit I was low on gas and wire so i decided to stick weld the whole thing using 7018 and it took multiple passes so I tacked it horizontal then rolled it to 6g position and ran it like a 30" pipe. It was fun since I am not a pipe welder thought I would see how I stacked up. The whole thing took about 4 passes to fill the seam in so I was stacking them in there.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

admin wrote:Thx Jonathan. And thanks for all your help too. Merry Christmas
Amen!

Both to Jonathan's comment, and to your thanks for his efforts. He's a wealth of knowledge here, and a force to be reckoned with on the facebook page.

A random thought I had today while doing something tedious... Have you considered putting the Weldmonger logo or "Go Knock It Out" as embroidery on a jacket?

Who, here, wouldn't want that on a light demin jacket, or even a heavy winter coat?

Just a thought...

Steve S
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

My wife and I both said we would like a hoodie or welding jacket with the logo on it.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt

Otto Nobedder wrote:
admin wrote:Thx Jonathan. And thanks for all your help too. Merry Christmas
Amen!

Both to Jonathan's comment, and to your thanks for his efforts. He's a wealth of knowledge here, and a force to be reckoned with on the facebook page.

Steve S
Steve and Jody,
Your welcome and thank you very much.
-Jonathan
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Jody,
I'm glad that you mentioned about taking care of the arc strikes. I never gave it much thought until I played around in the shop one day and had one of my welders help me with a test sample. I chopped up several pieces of A36 3/8 x 2 flat bar and laid them side by side on the work table, had a welder drag a 7018 across them and then grind them up to where he thought that they would be OK to mimic an arc strike on some structural work. I bent one piece without an arc strike for a control piece. He handed them back to me and we placed them in my coupon bender and found out that arc strikes can be a serious problem. Notice in these pics below that everywhere those little droplets were in the arc strike, had cracks initiate in them.

John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector

Yep. Good test to really drive the point home too. Thx. I might need to use these pics later
Best to you and thanks for this post

Jody

jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

admin wrote:I might need to use these pics later

Jody

Help yourself :)
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector

John,
Thanks for sharing that. I always hear "no arc strikes" but looking at bends like that really shows me why. Thanks.
-Jonathan
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Wow that hammers home a point. Good pics! And good test too. As a general repair welder you sometimes can't help but make a few arc strikes for the places you need to reach into but I never understood the severity of it. Always as a professional welder you are trying to make a good impression and arc strikes all over the place are not a way to do it. Does anybody know a good way to rectify them if 6 out make one by accident or due to cramped quarters etc...?
Be the monkey....