Comments & questions on new & past videos

Had to shake off the rust on my overhead 7018.
If you have some tips, I would love to hear them
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/sti ... ng-4g.html

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

You are da man Jody!!!

Are you able to do a video on slicing them up, removing the backer bar, and bending?
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Jody,
Once again a great video. I believe we all can relate to stepping on our lead and especially getting burned. I even step on my MIG gun lead on occasion. This really stresses how important it is to take those dry runs.

When we took our 4G tests in SMAW and GMAW-P I think I pulled toward me and couldn't see the puddle because of that. I would like to try it from the side and see what difference that would make. I didn't do it for the tests because I would only see the one wall of the bevel instead of the center of the groove.

A cut and etch would be interesting to compair to a 1G using the same rod and settings compairing penetration.

The only thing I can add to the video as far as advise is to be confident when taking this test. Second guessing can lead to failure, at least from my perspective. Just jump on this test and do it, don't over think it.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:...
The only thing I can add to the video as far as advise is to be confident when taking this test. Second guessing can lead to failure, at least from my perspective. Just jump on this test and do it, don't over think it.
-Jonathan
I think that's true of every test. We, as welders, tend to be hyper-critical of our own work, so when it's a test, or even a critical weld that we know is going to be examined "under the microscope", we put undue pressure on ourselves for a weld we know we can do.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

True. Second guessing myself leads to far more work and delays that's really necessary. (not rushing through)
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Back in the day we did a lot of overhead in the shipyard. 8018 and 11018
One thing we found that made life easier was to hang our leads from something
so that we were only holding up the least amount of cable possible to get the job done.
Them cables get heavy after a few hours and fatigue can set in and the next thing you know
you're not holding a tight arc. Then the "grapes of wrath" start showing up! Man you can not
burn very much wire with that grinder in your hands! Personally, I always used a slight push angle
on overhead. I got longer and flatter beads with each rod. But hey, use whatever technique
works best for you.