Comments & questions on new & past videos

Ever max out your 200 amp tig welder on aluminum and still come up short?
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig ... m-mix.html
Chuck
    Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 pm

Has anyone tried mixing in the balloon helium you can buy at Costco in the freon type canisters? I imagine it's not as clean/pure but I've been thinking about trying it.

Thanks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Balloon gas has a certain percentage of oxygen in it. It's there so you don't die when you breath it in to do a Donald Duck impression. I think that would cause more trouble than it's worth.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Yeah I believe it's 10% oxygen
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

The MSDS for balloon time helium that I saw listed 100% helium - doesnt mean there aren't blends out there, but it's what I saw.

I showed a friend how to tig aluminum with a helium tank he picked up for party balloons - it was a high pressure tank from a welding store, but he did tell them it was just for balloons.

Wish I had some helium, I'd try some blended just for fun :D

Edit: I just saw that balloon time helium is now going to be mixed up to 20% air due to the shortage.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

Another great video! John.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:mixed up to 20% air due to the shortage.
This is going to be one of those YMMV things- I've read conflicting notions, one that balloon grade is mixed, another that balloon grade (meaning not certified) from the LWS is pure helium that has not been tested for purity. Good to know that party time is a mix. It'll come down to asking the LWS "is this pure helium, or a blend."
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Artie F. Emm wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:mixed up to 20% air due to the shortage.
This is going to be one of those YMMV things- I've read conflicting notions, one that balloon grade is mixed, another that balloon grade (meaning not certified) from the LWS is pure helium that has not been tested for purity. Good to know that party time is a mix. It'll come down to asking the LWS "is this pure helium, or a blend."
Sunds about right - this is what party time said about it:
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.77 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Jody, how about a follow up using one of them new-fangled inverters like a 200DX?

You know, Pointed electrodes, higher frequencies, maybe some AC pulse.
Might be interesting to see what effect the helium has on all them built in goodies? ;)

Jody,

Just watched Part 2 of the He mix video. Brilliantly done. Seeing the etched joint along with the arc at the same time certainly helps to clarify things.

Years ago, I taught myself how to stick and MIG weld. Now, I've ordered a TIG machine and I'll be learning how to TIG weld. But this time, I'll have the advantage of the Jody Collier University of Welding videos. Thanks for all you do.

ldb
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch

Do you think there will ever be an end to the Helium shortage? We are talking about an aliment the universally in high abundance throughout the cosmos. :twisted:
... going as fast as I can with one eye closed.
Everlast Powertig 200DX
Miller Thunderbolt 225
Lincoln 180c Mig
Hobart Handler 125
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

winky wrote:Do you think there will ever be an end to the Helium shortage? We are talking about an aliment the universally in high abundance throughout the cosmos. :twisted:
Not while it's making the Suppliers $$$$.
http://www.nature.com/news/united-state ... ve-1.13819
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

No shortage of Helium in my shop.

If the bottles we need to send for recertification aren't empty, we dump them to atmosphere.

In the (very) rare case we're short on Helium, we send someone to the source, and get it for free.

Steve S
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:No shortage of Helium in my shop.

If the bottles we need to send for recertification aren't empty, we dump them to atmosphere.

In the (very) rare case we're short on Helium, we send someone to the source, and get it for free.

Steve S
Gonna drive my 24' trailer down to you and let you fill it full of helium bottles. That should last me and a few others a lifetime.

I currently have zero experience using helium or helium argon blends.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I've done it once. I had to weld 1/4" X 2" 6061 angle to 3/8" 6061 plate at an overhead 45*, the transition between F3 and F4, and even with 310A could not get a solid clean tack with the poor fit-up. So I put together a mixer to estimate 50-50, and the difference was significant. I finished every weld on that project with 50-50, as I already had it set up, and enjoyed it immensely. Lap-welds on 1/8" looked like a machine did them.

I do wish my work allowed me to weld more aluminum, both because I enjoy it and because I'd like to experiment more.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Because of this video, and a few of his others, I am finally getting a bottle of He to play around with on GTAW. I have always wanted to see the difference in using He but my only experience with it is mixes for GMAW. Should be rather fun I think. I am workin on setting up the corner of my garage with a table dedicated to testing. I get asked quite often about different specs and tests so I thought is was about time to pull the trigger and get my little section set up.

One of the things I want to do with my helium is DC Tig Alum as I have very limited experience with the DC alum an what I do have is limited to thin gauge anyway. I have some 1/4" plate I want I play with and hopefully get some thicker members as well. I look forward to the rest of this little series!
-Jonathan
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Sure i would never have a use for helium but its tempting :twisted: but, afraid to ask lws what tank of it would run me. prolly one of those things if I did I would take a 10yr lease on 300 series tank and maybe get it filled once :oops: so cant say I see it happening. heck got 10 yrs leases on argon think I should have got 20yr leases instead. :(
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

There's no industry standards set for balloon Helium, but in the same token when renting a cylinder of Helium from your local cylinder fill they don't ask what it's used for, so they would give you pure.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len