Comments & questions on new & past videos
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm not sure if this is some super top secret thing, but hoe does Jody get these great behind the lens video that you can clearly see the arc, weld and surrounding metal?
I would line to know what kind of camera, app, exposure settings, filter/lens etc to use....
I saw a video on HDR filming but I find no source for HDR video camera only still video. Any suggestions or hints would help. Was going to try getting a ND filter for my camera but no idea what to buy
Thanks
Tjschur
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:14 am

Apparently it is a secret.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

It's not a secret, just none of do it for our selves. I believe it's an ordinary cam corder, set to auto. That does the trick. I think sometimes he puts a clear cover lens on it to protect it from sparks.
Grzyby15
    Thu May 14, 2015 4:28 am

I think an ordinary cheap HD camera would do the trick easily.

In some of the arc shots, I'm seeing a green tint indicative of a passive lens or AD cartridge that I think he may be shooting through. The advantage of shooting through an AD would be that the cartridge would react faster to the arc than the auto-exposure on a camera would and reduce the "white-out flash" effect before the AE clamped the level.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch

soutthpaw wrote:I'm not sure if this is some super top secret thing, but hoe does Jody get these great behind the lens video that you can clearly see the arc, weld and surrounding metal?
I would line to know what kind of camera, app, exposure settings, filter/lens etc to use....
I saw a video on HDR filming but I find no source for HDR video camera only still video. Any suggestions or hints would help. Was going to try getting a ND filter for my camera but no idea what to buy
Thanks
As others have said shooting thru a weld filter, the newer DSLR's are incorporating a HDR video feature, such as the new Canon Rebel T6s http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-e ... bel-t6s/10

Also I'm sure some post processing is done in a program such as Adobe Premier, or other similar software
Richard
Website

I've thought about just putting up a post that says, "Jody, how the heck do you get those great arc shots?", but there's a problem with that. There's a lot more pride in figuring it out yourself, so asking is kinda like asking the magician "How did you turn that girl into a rabbit?". Not real classy.

Then, we have to ask ourselves, "Do we really want to know?", because when you know what the magician knows, it isn't magic anymore.

Well, I really want to know, so as soon as I get some time, I'm gonna put a friend of mine on the Panasonic AG-DVX100A camera, and I'll get on a stinger and we'll do a little experimenting. Sounds like a fun project.

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
ProStar O/A torch

Jody has said in the past, that it's a plain camcorder set to "auto" with no filter, apart from a clear lens to protect the glass.

weldin mike 27 wrote:Jody has said in the past, that it's a plain camcorder set to "auto" with no filter, apart from a clear lens to protect the glass.
Thought for sure I'd seen all the videos, but I guess I missed one. Thanks for the clarification.

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
ProStar O/A torch

No problem
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

The best thing I can advise is just experiment. That is what I have been doing lately for my quick videos.
-Jonathan