Comments & questions on new & past videos

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/mig ... hill2.html
Trying to keep the conversation going on downhill mig so I cleaned the mill scale this time and also did some uphill joints.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I will bite on keeping the conversation going. First, I feel this is a great series on downhill verses up hill progression. In talking with other welders who feel it is ok to weld down on 1/2" plate, it will be nice to have a video series to show them, if they are willing to watch anyway. I have tried some downhill cut and etch pieces using pulse and got the same results as the spray, LOF at the root of the weld. It would be interesting to play with the settings like Jody did and turn it up and down to see the differences.

I see on YouTube and Facebook there are several more questions and comments I think we, of Jody in part 3 (hint, hint) can address. First I will say these videos clear up a few questions I had on fusion verses depth of fusion. Clearly depth of fusion is important and makes for a good weld. I suggest that Jody perform bend tests or fillet break tests to show his audience how each does. One argument I heard is that it is fused at the root, barely, and has some depth of fusion at the toes so it should be a sound weld. I would agree only depending on what the weld is holding. If it just holds something on that will see no force than yes but if it is a structural member than no. Bends/breaks would help clear this up.

A question I saw, although it was half in jest was "The only people who are defending downhill welding is people who can't weld lol." Now I understand he said "lol" afterward but that is not the first time I have heard someone say that and mean it. I disagree completely. API 1104 is downhill welding, I have procedures that include dowhhill roots on pipe and many of us will use downward progression when welding on sheet sizes. One problem I see is shops have guys who just cannot weld vertical up so they just have them go down.

Another question I saw that would be a interesting comparison, although in a way Jody did do this on one test plate in part 2, is "Why not run straight stringers? you should be able to get good penetration." I wonder what effect, if any, we would see there.

Of course one could study this topic at great length as there are so many other processes and procedures we can look at. Aluminum spray, Aluminum pulse, Aluminum pulse-on-pulse, Carbon Steel pulse, Advanced wave form, SS in short circuit, pulse and spray and the list goes on. Jody, you can make videos for a very long time with this topic. I can hear it now, "Downhill welding part 33".
-Jonathan
spiritwalker
    Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:12 pm

In the course of my work, I do a fair bit of downhill welding with Mig. I weld with .052 wire at 25.3 V and 350 IPM. I am curious as to how much penetration one can get downhill welding with this set up. Also, would the uphill technique you showed be suitable with these settings? Thanks.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

It's as simple as this. Down hill is a tool to have in your repertoire. Know how to use it, when to use it. Apply when required. End of story.
jcw
  • jcw
  • Workhorse
    Workhorse
    Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Great great videos. Jody you are the best.
superclarkey
    Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:23 am

Slightly off topic but same time hopefully not too far off lol

The Loctite Rust Disolver (Navel Jelly) that he uses in the videos to bring out the weld cross profiles, does anyone know if anything else will work as this stuff is not sold in the uk, it was removed because its ingredients, so struggling to get it... If anyone from uk knows where you can buy it please PM me :D
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I use an acid-based toilet cleaner.

Here's an article on various etchants and their use:
http://www.eng-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1111

Steve S