Comments & questions on new & past videos

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig ... minum.html
Tig welding some thick aluminum and pushing the limits on my TIG 175
HipHop45
    Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:02 am

I like this video because the lincoln he Jody uses is similar to a Miller EconoTig, Which is what I currently have. Learning some ways to get more out of it is good to know especially since my welder has been super reliable after all these years. I just a quick question, What brand /Model check valves are used with the Western 411 valved Y connector? I'm assuming there inline for any pressure differential between the cylinders?

Thanks,Mike
Alumike
    Sun May 19, 2013 9:49 pm

I liked this video. Actually I have like all the vids. Great work. I especially like the talk of pricing. Many people are great at what we do, but fall short when it comes to running a business and knowing what to charge. Doing side work is far different that running a legit biz. I have run my own automotive machine shop since 1986. I know what that work is worth and what to charge. The welding is a little different story. I try to charge the same hourly rate no matter what I am doing. Most of my welding is repairing cylinder heads. Whether it is repairing cracks or just repairing eroded gasket surfaces, there is always other operations to be done after the welding. On occasion I do repair a cracked pan or cover or something that is just welding. That is, if you don't include cleaning & prep.
Jody used $1 an inch and $1 per tack. He figured the job took 1 hour. Is that "floor to floor" or just weld time? Cleaning and prep must be included. Also region of the country must be included. My location(Chicago) is high priced. Our sales tax is going back up to 10.25%. I do know that where I buy my supplies makes a huge difference. Some of the gas prices are insane. Sometimes the erosion on head gasket surfaces is .250 or more deep. This must all be removed to get down to clean aluminum, and hopefully no one has used the JB weld trick. It does net work and makes the job harder. Then we need to resurface the head.