Comments & questions on new & past videos

I had a chance to interview Andrew Cardin who represented USA at the World Skills welding Competition.
What a great kid!!!
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/wor ... ardin.html
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

Awesome skills! John.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

There is a fine example of picking up gems of knowledge and motivation from an unexpected place. I had no idea when I sat down at my computer this morning that I'd pick up a new way to look at something from a man half my age.

The lines that he used in that interview should be taken to heart by anybody trying to learn a new skill or starting their own business. You have to learn how to learn. That's good advice no matter what you intend to do in life, as well as continually learning new things.

His line " You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great" is one that I think that everyone should adhere to. Some days you just need to get in there and set about doing it and the skills and knowledge will come with it.

I'm glad you shared this with us and I'd like to say great job Andrew, you've done us proud on the world stage.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I could go on for pages at how impressed I am with this.

I'll start with Jody. I don't recall him doing an in-depth interview before, but he does it well. Andrew must have been a joy to interview, as well, since his answers were well thought out, and he has no problem speaking on camera.

That line about "learning how to learn" takes me back to college. My department head said it very well. "We're not here to teach you your job. We're here to teach you how to learn a job." Giving you a foundation, and showing you how to find the bits and pieces that will build your career.

I agree, that line, "You don't have to be great to start..." is far more meaningful than it sounds on the surface. No one ever accomplished anything by wishing to be good. You have to give it a go before you even begin to know what you don't know.

I also liked Jody's take on Andrew's spirituality... "If you're offended, that's on you!" Perfect. I'm not a particularly spiritual man myself, but I'm reminded of Proverbs 22:29. "Do you see a man who excels in his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before unknown men." (Gideon's version.)

Steve S