Comments & questions on new & past videos

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Jody was your Thunderbolt moaning and groaning while welding with it? I had the Hobart Stickmate twin to that machine and scratch start was always a very noisy affair. Great video. thanks.
Multimatic 255
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Wow Louie, I had a stickmate and scratch start was a breeze on that thing. Other than dialing it in that is! LOL
We did a lot of scratch start at the shipyards back in the day. Only the guys "in the shop" got foot pedals.
Up in the boats it was scratch only. Root and hot pass then right to stick for the fill and cover. A lot of our stuff
was with consumable inserts too.
hayden
    Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:15 pm

The question of connecting work and electrode leads was mentioned in this video and I thought I might offer this tip.
It's old info and you may not approve of the analogy but, this is how I taught my students to remember polarity when setting up a power supply;
The abbreviation for Senator is; SEN --[S]traight {polarity} [E]lectrode [N]egative
The abbreviation for Representative is; REP--[R]everse {polarity} [E]lectrode [P]ositive
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

hayden wrote:The question of connecting work and electrode leads was mentioned in this video and I thought I might offer this tip.
It's old info and you may not approve of the analogy but, this is how I taught my students to remember polarity when setting up a power supply;
The abbreviation for Senator is; SEN --[S]traight {polarity} [E]lectrode [N]egative
The abbreviation for Representative is; REP--[R]everse {polarity} [E]lectrode [P]ositive
Hayden? I thought your Reps in MA were AC/DC? Frank, Studds? LOL! :mrgreen: :o :D

I remember something from years ago about them not using bookmarks? Something about
preferring their pages bent over? :?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

rake wrote:
hayden wrote:The question of connecting work and electrode leads was mentioned in this video and I thought I might offer this tip.
Hayden? I thought your Reps in MA were AC/DC? Frank, Studds? LOL! :mrgreen: :o :D

I remember something from years ago about them not using bookmarks? Something about
preferring their pages bent over? :?
Oh lord, I haven't heard that joke in so many years... It embarrasses me that I didn't think of it...

LMAO!

Steve S
HipHop45
    Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:02 am

This was cool to watch, sure brought back a lot of memories of my first experience TIG welding steel. I used an old Montgomery Wards AC\DC welder, and an old solid (Bakelite) Tweco torch with gas valve. It worked great. I was surprised what could be welded with such a crude set-up especially by todays standards. It was actually pretty fun to weld with this set-up. I experimented with a high frequency arc stabilizer on AC with some success as you mentioned. I agree it's not worth the expense for one. the money is definitely better spent on a welder with the ability to weld aluminum in one complete unit. Thanks Jody, for another interesting and informative video. Mike
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I'm glad Jody discussed covering the exposed stick/TIG connector. That thought occurred to me during the first video- a live lead could sure be a surprise for an observer, or a pet.
Dave
aka "RTFM"