Comments & questions on new & past videos
Jamie1968
    Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi,
New here. But have been watching the videos on You Tube for a while now. Very good stuff...
I have a request/suggestion for a video that I don't think has been covered yet. I would like to see a tutorial on base metal repair on a pump or motor shaft. I am a machinist by trade, and have picked up some welding knowledge over the years.
But this is an area that I can't really seem to get much information on. Most welders I have spoken to about it, don't really have a technique, but surely there has to be something to it in order to ensure that you get penetration, no porosity, and ultimately control warpage. If there is anything that could be shown, I would appreciate it.
Keep up the good work!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome Jamie,

I'm going to copy this post to "Wish List", which is specifically for making video suggestions, but there are two videos right here on the first page of "Video Discussion" that apply to some degree to your question. I expect others will share more of them. Check out these topics:

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... =23&t=8542
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... =23&t=8491

Steve S
Harry72
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 am

Didnt Jody do a vid not long ago on building up a shaft?

Jamie have you found Keith Fenner on youtube yet... if you havent hop to it :)
mcostello
    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:21 am

My suggestion is that Jody should quit making it look SO easy! :D
Jamie1968
    Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:47 pm

Thanks for those videos... They were good.
A little clarification is needed. I found the ones Jody did on stainless steel shaft repair, with TIG. What I'm interested in is carbon steel repair using SMAW. From what I've seen, in the videos I've watched, using SMAW is a trick. I know that some of the shops I've worked in used that process, and it worked. I was wondering if there's anything that wouldn't be common knowledge, that Jody, or anybody else could offer.
And yes.... I've seen Keith Fenner. But, I didn't know that he addressed this too. Will definitely go look for it.
Thanks again!

IIRC, Keith Fenner did do some SMAW shaft buildup, but I don't remember exactly which videos.

ldb
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch