Ideas & suggestions for videos
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

I'm making a box out of copper just as something to do. Well actually its a tank for a home made tig cooler. I read something about pitting of aluminium tanks due to the cathodic action of the water/copper power lead etc etc and they only last a few years.. So in the spirit of over-engineering I bought some sheet copper in 0.9mm (20guage) . Normally in sheet metal fashion you would cut and fold it all up out of a single piece but not having a folder I decided to try and braze or solder it on the outside corners of what are basically butt joints.

Had some issues with test pieces with both soldering with lead and silver soldering, either just looked ugly or got so much heat into it they started to warp. Decided to try the new tig machine I bought and was really surprised with the results. I could pulse with the pedal every inch or so to tack it and I could fusion weld it fairly easily too. No cracking from not adding filler like with aluminium, though I will try with filler when I get some cable and strip it.

Anyway, it was a pretty easy process and a video would be great imo, adds another tool to the toolbox for anyone that might want to fab something up out of copper instead of aluminium. I did it on DC with around 100amps and manually pulsed via the pedal. Also used some 40mmx40mm square tube in 3mm as a backing.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde