Ideas & suggestions for videos
wormworksfab
    Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi,

I would love for Jody (and others who have similar experience) to make a video about getting your first welding job. I know Jody got his first one while in school still, and I am sure there are many others on here who started their first jobs while still in school also. I have been in tech school now for about 6 months, after finishing my first year (it is a two-year program) i am wanting to get a welding job for the summer, anything to help get real-world experience. How is the best way to go about this? What are the best type of jobs to apply for? What can someone who is still in school put on their resume to help them stand out? What can be done to help get your first welding job (and in particular, for someone who is still in school)?

Thanks!
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

1) bring small weld samples with you.
2) bring your helmet and gloves and be ready to test weld on the spot when you apply.
3) accept a welder's helper job or monotonous little production work, you have to get your foot in the door somehow.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Rudy said it pretty well. Bring some scrap plate to test the machine if they let you to get your settings right and if they dont you maybe dont want to work there. And like Rudy said-TAKE ANY JOB YOU CAN-it is better than no job and sitting on your butt cause you cant get a $25 an hour job because you dont have experience. Some experience is better than none.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
wormworksfab
    Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Thanks for the replies and the help!

I have somewhat of a follow up question, and probably should have started with this question. But i am now wondering if trying to get a job somewhere for the summer is the best route of me to improve in welding/fabrication skills.
I have been in a tech school for welding now for about 6 months. I have about 3 months left until I finish up the first year, it is a two-year program. We are not required to take any classes over the summer, however some classes are offered. I am also realizing just how many real-world welding skills are not being learned though. I was originally thinking it would be in my best interest and I would learn the most trying to get a welding job for the summer rather than taking classes, even if it was just a job sweeping the floor or shop helper or anything to get my foot in the door and at least start to get some experience in a job setting. I am now not sure if it would be better to try to take more welding classes over the summer, and work on my own projects at home and get some real-world experience through them. I know i would probably get more hood time taking classes. Although I feel i would learn more fabrication skills and real-world welding skills actually working somewhere for the summer. Any advice on which route would be the better or the two would be much appreciated, I really just want to learn as much as i can and am not sure which would be better.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Well here's my two cents. Jody made a video about welding career advice and he had mentioned how he got a job at a sweatshop for like a month just to make money and for experience. Is reccomendations the job. Don't tell them that you won't be able to work for two or three months. You're going to take the classes anyways so may as well work and build up a resume before you really need a full time job. Find a cheap trailer company or a sweatshop. Take any job. You aren't gonna make a lot of money at first so don't expect much.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick