It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 am Advanced search

Stick Welding outdoors with rust everywhere.

Ideas & suggestions for videos

Stick Welding outdoors with rust everywhere.

Postby Countrywelder » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:39 pm

I was on my friends cattle ranch recently. We had to repair a gate that a bull ran through. My friend used an old portable Lincoln stick welder, on a trailer. The only prep work that was done was to grind off some rust for the ground clamp. Otherwise, he and I just welded on top of all the rust. This was mostly on very old tubing and sucker rod. I had a hard time keeping an arch. I thought the power was a little low, but my friend didn't have the same issue as i did. He also would go back over like a cursive e pattern. Clearly, this brakes all the rules that I've seen on the videos and the show, but it still is done all over the world and would be interesting to weld and test the welds. I would like to know what pattern works best when welding over years of rust. Remember, its for fence line 150 feet long, corrals, and gates, and not inspected. The test is when the bull tries to hit it again, will it hold? Also, it has to last at least 40 years outside. Thanks,
Countrywelder

Re: Stick Welding outdoors with rust everywhere.

Postby Poland308 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:33 pm

There is no best pattern for welding on rusty metal. I've worked on lots of old pipe doing emergency patches where there's no time for cleanup. In situations like that the weld is likely much stronger than the surrounding metal. It becomes a guess based on previous experiences, cross referenced with urgency of the situation, divided by the importance of the repair, and multiplied by danger of or risks of a catastrophic failure.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby ldbtx » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Josh is right. There's no "best" procedure for rusty metal. I put beans on the table building (and repairing) fences and pens for a couple years, and you just do the best you can. Odds are it won't be pretty, but if it holds and keeps the bulls (or bison) from escaping, you've done good. Just hang in there and do whatever works.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
ldbtx
Heavy Hitter

Postby Kbweld » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:05 am

On most of my agricultural repair work
6010 is my go to rod. I use the whip & pause
Technique.
Hint: Always use 7018 on sucker rod. The welds
with lo/hi's will not "pop" like a 6010/6011 will.
Kbweld

Return to Wish List