Ideas & suggestions for videos
Tkersey
    Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi. At work we had a shaft break right off, clean straight break. Broke right outside the gearbox, It's only 1" drive diameter from a SEW drive thru shaft. The roll is 3" diameter, 55" long, bearing both ends. What would the best method of quick repair something like this in the future? We did not have a spare as this shaft was a brand new one. I Would like to see a video on how to weld two solid shafts together
Thanks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there, this isn't a jody video, but it's sort of what you need. https://youtu.be/yy-rae-aUSc
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

the other thing is how did it break ?
without fixing that any quick fix will break really fast as it will be a lot lower strength than a properly fixed one.
tweak it until it breaks
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hi there, this isn't a jody video, but it's sort of what you need. https://youtu.be/yy-rae-aUSc
I love Adam Booth. Love to meet him sometime.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Tkersey

We were not sure why it broke. It was brand new and installed very shortly before this. Maybe 5 hours of run time. Only thing on this roll is two hold down wheels. Pushing down is an air cylinder.
Adam booth does great work and I've watched many of his videos
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Tkersey wrote:We were not sure why it broke. It was brand new and installed very shortly before this. Maybe 5 hours of run time. Only thing on this roll is two hold down wheels. Pushing down is an air cylinder.
Adam booth does great work and I've watched many of his videos
was it a replacement or new install? (existing gearbox/motor/drive system and housings?)
i assume checked the bearings and hold down pressure etc. mounts are ok and aligned.
could be metallurgy, which i would hope it isn't otherwise repair may not be possible.
tweak it until it breaks
Tkersey

For this roll it was a brand new from factory roll. Gearbox/ motor was new and two new bearings on each end.
We are looking into pressures, but they have not changed.
Possibly bad material which the shaft was made out of.
Anyway . Was just wanting to see what others would do to temporarily fix it. We beveled on side, cleaned up both parts, a tacked in three spots, used a torch to heat both parts and true best possible, then small welds using 7018. Built up cleaned slag after each weld. It's running for for three days . The machine shop has now made us a new shaft and will install next opportunity.