Ideas & suggestions for videos
dankrier
    Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:17 am

Could you do a demo of how to tig weld into an aluminum corner? For example, the end of an angle welded to a flat plate, welding into the corner of an angle aluminum frame, etc? Specifically showing the torch setup, do you start in the corner and weld out, or do you weld into the corner, tungsten and filler rod angles, how to get everything into the corner, and still SEE. Thank you!
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i would love to know some tricks on that as well. inside corners of a box.
i usually do a long stick out and start out and push into the corner.
tweak it until it breaks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I would prefer to start in the corner to make sure you get into the root. Once you have a puddle going, it may prove difficult to neatly get into the corner because you have a puddle chasing the arc and what not.

I wouldn't say there is a secret, it's just tough. You have to be able to see, have the torch positioned correctly and get the filler in, it's a narrow window where all of these conditions exist and the weld happens.

I start in the very corner and work out, that way the hardest part is first and as I weld out it gets easier.

This is also a time when the "force" can be a powerful ally ;)
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

LtBadd wrote: I start in the very corner and work out, that way the hardest part is first and as I weld out it gets easier.
I find it easier in reverse of this. Establish the puddle, and weld into the corner. That way, the base metal is already hot, and you can flow the puddle into that joint. Remember, in most situations, you now have 3, not 2 surface to contend with (adding a vertical axis) in terms of establishing the arc and puddle.

Even if you start 2” away from the corner, carrying heat is far easier than creating heat. At least for me. I then do weld out from that joint an inch or two. Reposition, then weld away.

But I absolutely agree, torch and eye position is hyper critical.

cj737 wrote:
LtBadd wrote: I start in the very corner and work out, that way the hardest part is first and as I weld out it gets easier.
I find it easier in reverse of this. Establish the puddle, and weld into the corner. That way, the base metal is already hot, and you can flow the puddle into that joint.
I agree when welding thicker al. or at the limits of the machine for a given material thickness, typically when I tig weld something that's going to be challenging, when possible, I like to get the hard part done first.
Richard
Website