Ideas & suggestions for videos
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 pm

I would like to see some videos on brazing and siver solder. particularly copper pipe and fitings. although I am going to use black pipe for air in my shop. copper air lines ae suposed to be brazed.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Welcome. Jody has a video on brazing copper. Use the search engine on the main page. Im not sure if that will meet your needs but its there.

Mick
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

I'd be interested in seeing a vid on MIG brazing. It's an automotive repair technique, as modern cars are using bronze to join boron steel and similar high strength heat treated materials. I-CAR has been the only place I've seen it addressed. S/F....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey,

Welcome. Jody has a video on brazing copper. Use the search engine on the main page. Im not sure if that will meet your needs but its there.

Mick
that must be an old video, I dont remember it. I will do a search.

Hey,

This is the one I was talking about,

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/bra ... steel.html

Its not the kind of brazing or braze welding or whatever, you would use on, say, a cast iron part. ( There is some confusion in the terms. I call this Silver soldering and the cast iron one Brazing or brazewelding, even though its not welding)

Hope this helps.

Mick

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey,

This is the one I was talking about,

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/bra ... steel.html

Its not the kind of brazing or braze welding or whatever, you would use on, say, a cast iron part. ( There is some confusion in the terms. I call this Silver soldering and the cast iron one Brazing or brazewelding, even though its not welding)

Hope this helps.

Mick
I watched it and it was not quite what I was hopeing for.

for the most part gas welding has realy falled by the wayside.

Hey,

I think that it has been over shadowed by all the other processes. A lot of people still love it, as it suits alot of purposes better than anything else . Have a troll around youtube, there are lots of videos on there that dont get tagged properly so a search wont pick them up.

Mick
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

I have done some mig brazing as well as tig brazing. We used silcone bronze for both. Tig brazing works really good, not as much of a fan of the mig brazing. It was very hard to get your setting set in right. We used the mig brazing when we were building some big table for Verizon wireless. Used we 70 s6 on all the inside joints than used the mig brazing on all the outside joints to make the grinding process go faster.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

You ever see one of those old timers solder radiators at car factories back in the day by hand?

I loved brazing or even gas welding but it has gotten kind of expensive. I have a bunch of gas equipment. Smith's, Victor and Harris torch sets. After doing TIG for so many years, gas is a cinch. It's strange to have so much time for correction of movement, torch angle adjustment etc.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.

I watched a video of a guy in England who gas fusion welds all his sheet metal work. The guy was an artist with a small torch.

His reasoning is you can then metal work panels with uniform results, rather than grinding down a weld bead, having uneven thicknesses and the need to use filler.

I would still like to see Jodi do some gas welding.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Don't write off gas processes. I frequently silver-braze brass/bronze valves and fittings to stainless steel using oxy/acet. and a rosebud. Next time it comes up, I'll take some pics.

"Brazing" is a word related to the process more than the metal. Originally, a brazier (a coal or charcoal fired oven or stove, similar to a forge, was used to achieve flow temperature for the filler). A hot clean fire would make brass flow for cast iron repair, silver alloys for brass and brass to dissimilar metal bonds, and lead/tin for copper. The name "brazing" stuck.

I've soldered a radiator on the side of the road at two AM, half-drunk, with a pocket "turbo-lighter", a.k.a. "crack pipe lighter". It got us home.

Actually, here's a pic of the kind of work I mentioned in the first paragraph... There's no other way to efficiently heat valves and pipes this size to brazing temperature BUT oxy-fuel, or you'll get a very shallow penetration and a lot of heat-shock:
GEDC0898.JPG
GEDC0898.JPG (159.92 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Steve S

One of the jobs I interviewed for last year (didn’t get) was doing work for a division of Melling, the oil pump company. They are an OE supplier to all auto manufactures. This division did a lot of pick up tube assemblies and they are “furnace brazed” together. I got to tour the plant and watched the furnace braze process.

As much as I would like to see more oxy/fuel stuff. Having him play with the settings on that Lincoln PowerMig 350 would be at the very top of the list.