Ideas & suggestions for videos
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Don't write off gas processes. I frequently silver-braze brass/bronze valves and fittings to stainless steel using oxy/acet. and a rosebud. Next time it comes up, I'll take some pics.

"Brazing" is a word related to the process more than the metal. Originally, a brazier (a coal or charcoal fired oven or stove, similar to a forge, was used to achieve flow temperature for the filler). A hot clean fire would make brass flow for cast iron repair, silver alloys for brass and brass to dissimilar metal bonds, and lead/tin for copper. The name "brazing" stuck.

I've soldered a radiator on the side of the road at two AM, half-drunk, with a pocket "turbo-lighter", a.k.a. "crack pipe lighter". It got us home.

Actually, here's a pic of the kind of work I mentioned in the first paragraph... There's no other way to efficiently heat valves and pipes this size to brazing temperature BUT oxy-fuel, or you'll get a very shallow penetration and a lot of heat-shock:
GEDC0898.JPG
GEDC0898.JPG (159.92 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Steve S
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 pm

One of the jobs I interviewed for last year (didn’t get) was doing work for a division of Melling, the oil pump company. They are an OE supplier to all auto manufactures. This division did a lot of pick up tube assemblies and they are “furnace brazed” together. I got to tour the plant and watched the furnace braze process.

As much as I would like to see more oxy/fuel stuff. Having him play with the settings on that Lincoln PowerMig 350 would be at the very top of the list.