Ideas & suggestions for videos
sgtnoah
    Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 am

Not exactly a request for a new individual video, but thinking of additional salable products for you...

I've found you current 3-disc set to be immensely helpful and am sure many others have also. I'd buy the next edition as soon as it comes out!

Heck even the kids will drift towards the tv when I put it on. My eight year old girl is currently so interested that she is learning how to stick weld. I asked her what she wants for her upcoming birthday and she said that an auto-darkening helmet is what she wants!

-- Pete
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

sgtnoah wrote:... I asked her what she wants for her upcoming birthday and she said that an auto-darkening helmet is what she wants!

-- Pete
Pete that's great, a young person showing interest in welding! I'd suggest getting her an inexpensive one to start, maybe Harbor Freight, and see where it goes from there. You can always upgrade her to a better one if she stays interested.
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Sgtnoah.

When my niece was eight years old, she would slither under one of my longer leather jackets. For her it was like wearing a poncho that covered her completely when she sat or crouched down. The soft and small tig gloves fitted her well. Had to turn the current way up so she would not stick the electrodes. She drug them more than holding an arc. She made little rod iron figurines about eight inches tall. Her school teacher never believed that she welded them herself. Reprimanded her for telling tales.

You might consider making from scratch a light weight helmet for her, and buying only the auto-darkening lense, which you could fit in it.

Alexa
sgtnoah
    Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 am

Love that story! You are very right about the helmet fit, they are so big a awkward for little heads. My 3M helmet can be adjusted to fit her pretty well, but it sure makes me nervous too see that $300 lid on her bobbing head! Still got a month to figure it out before the big day.
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Sgtnoah.

Why not make one with her.
'Cardboard' (black type that does not burn) is really light.
You could use an adjustable headband from a safety helmet.
Or perhaps a bicycle helmet to hold it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iqva4wks-A

Another option.
I have used old leather helmets that are easy to modify.
http://www.toughweld.com/products/1748- ... ding-helme

Using the auto-darkening lense, you do not need the flip-up action.

Alexa

I am curious what could be puzzled together if you had a leather welding helmet (example: Huntsman 86oP), a bicycle helmet, and