Ideas & suggestions for videos
Merki
    Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:23 pm

I did like the video on the auto darkening welding helmets. I have just finished my second year schooling but am an older welder at 55. I do not see well anymore. I have a speedglass auto darkening helmet but I struggle to see the weld area. I also use progressive glasses. What I would like to see, in a video, is more information, tips and tricks ono how to lay down a straight bead and how to see the areas in front of and behind the bead for people like me. I have used a 2.5 cheater lens with limited success and I will likely buy the Miller Elite digital helmet as I like the viewing area and digital buttons.

Hope this idea is met well for all of us oldies out there that struggle with seeing as well as the young people :)

Merki
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Merki,

I'm one of the oldies out here that struggled with seeing when I took up Tig. I had a cheap auto darkening helmet and thought about giving it up. I used a buddies Miller Elite (analog) and it made a huge difference.

OK, so now I was excited about it again, did some more research, pricing and made a trip to the eye Doctor. Talked with the Doc about what I was doing and got a pair of fixed focal length (for reading, computer etc.) glasses for welding. Bought a Digital Elite, stuck a +1 cheater in, (the Elites have a lens holder built in) and problems with seeing what I'm doing were solved. Now if I could just stop setting myself on fire the world would be grand. :roll:

Just shop around for that helmet, there are some pretty big price differences on them. Bought mine from I.O.C.
http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/s ... StoreFront
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Nothing against the Miller but if you have a Speedglas, you wont find much better. They are at the top of the list in most countries of Europe, and in Australia. Take that trip to the eye doctor but I wouldnt ditch the speed glas. Im not biased but just saying they are as good if not better than anything else out there.

Mick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I had trouble welding with progressive lenses... Seems the exact focus I needed was always below a comfortable position. My work glasses are now standard bi-focals, with the near vision set high at my request, so the focus is consistant for a broad range of head positions. This has helped a lot, although it took some getting used to after becoming accustomed to the progressives.

SpeedGlas is as good as it gets, just be sure to change the cover lenses regularly; Welding UV ages them quickly, even without scratches and spatter. If you use it without a protective inner lens, clean the inside like your glasses, i.e. blow the dust and grit off w/ compressed air, and wipe with a lens cloth (I use pre-moistened disposables).

Also look at your ambient lighting... A bright light source above your work (but not behind you, shining in your hood), such as a 300W T3 Halogen fixture, will be a big help, as well. In fact, the less light coming in from behind you, the better you'll see.

My two cents,

Steve
    Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:55 am

Merki wrote:I did like the video on the auto darkening welding helmets. I have just finished my second year schooling but am an older welder at 55. I do not see well anymore. I have a speedglass auto darkening helmet but I struggle to see the weld area. I also use progressive glasses. What I would like to see, in a video, is more information, tips and tricks ono how to lay down a straight bead and how to see the areas in front of and behind the bead for people like me. I have used a 2.5 cheater lens with limited success and I will likely buy the Miller Elite digital helmet as I like the viewing area and digital buttons.

Hope this idea is met well for all of us oldies out there that struggle with seeing as well as the young people :)

Merki

@ Merki,

OUCH !!!! ( Hope this idea is met well for all of us OLDIES out there that struggle with seeing as well as the young people. ) another OUCH here !!! LOL :lol:

Well Merki, what can we do, we have to accept the inevitable facts, having poor eye sight specially when one reaches age 45 and going up. I myself wear a pair of eye glasses and really find it hard too to do welding with out them, at 57, yes I can still see the beads, the weld puddles being laid out but find it straining my eye with out the glasses. Even typing this reply, having no eye glasses, I find it hard to find the letters on the keyboard. Recently I have changed my helmets with large flip up windows so it will be easy for me to see everything around areas where I am doing my welding. Good lighting specially during evening sessions helps a lot. Ones you feel your eye/s twitching or getting to to be watery, stop for a while and rest them. ;) 8-)