Ideas & suggestions for videos
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey Jody,

I have been talking about a flux core technique lately, that involves leaving the slag on the weld between runs. This is for multi pass multi layer fillet welds and supposedly aids bead formation, (removed each layer) The people who do it swear by it but to the uninitiated, it sounds like crap. Just wondering if you could give it a crack. Ps im talking 1/2" plus weld size.

Regards Mick.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey Jody,

I have been talking about a flux core technique lately, that involves leaving the slag on the weld between runs. This is for multi pass multi layer fillet welds and supposedly aids bead formation, (removed each layer) The people who do it swear by it but to the uninitiated, it sounds like crap. Just wondering if you could give it a crack. Ps im talking 1/2" plus weld size.

Regards Mick.
i've heard of this but imvho leaving the slag on between passes is a bad practice regardless of the process.

The blokes who do it , swear by it. even on xray work. That's why i wanna see it.

mick
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I am guilty of not cleaning slag on my flux core welds when I am in a hurry. In our horseshoe business we use straight flux core wire because we weld a lot of old dirty rusty shoes and a lot of people like their stuff rusty and I get in a hurry on hot orders and just not clean the slag and it really does seem to burn in fine and makes a good weld. I haven't welded anything inspected this way but the only downside I found to it is that its hard to restart cause the slag doesn't let it ground out right. Other than that I seems to work good for me.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

If it passes X-ray, Mick, Nobody can bad-mouth it.... Nobody 8-)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Thats about the truth, though there are a lot who try...

weldin mike 27 wrote:Thats about the truth, though there are a lot who try...

Anybody who knows any thing remotely related to flux core would think its a bunch of crap....

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Hey,

I tell ya mate, theres gangs of guys out there that would scream otherwise. I posted it on facebook, and out of about 100 comments, i had probably 75% who've done it and swear by it. (Im only talking big muli fillets. The slag of the preceeding run supports the next run. Apparently its awesome. Give it a go.

Mick

I'll give it a try sometime, thanks mate...
John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

weldin mike 27
I am not on the same page I think. Are you talking any flux core or is there a special wire for this technique? I will try it if you explain exactly how they do it and what wire.

Hey mate,

I have only heard hearsay about it, never done it nor see a video or proper picture.

However, from what im hearing, The wire you would normally use to do a 1/2 " or bigger multipass fillet weld. The slag of the preceding run gives a bit of support to the next run, I would try it, but the only flux core wire we have is a 309 wire with self releasing slag.

Mick

weldin mike 27 wrote: The slag of the preceding run gives a bit of support to the next run
Doesn't this go against everything we have been taught in the past? I would think these welds would be full of inclusions. Anyone out there have a picture or video of this being done?

Hey,

Ill put the feelers out.

Mick
eddahenry
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:53 am

There is flux cored wire made to do this
I'll check the numbers of the lincon one I sell the coke mill
They use it on the coke crushing rollers to build them up for re machining
They just plié it on top of its self

Yeah, I was thinking it must be some sorts only. Like 3xp cigweld.

Mick

eddahenry wrote:There is flux cored wire made to do this
I'll check the numbers of the lincon one I sell the coke mill
They use it on the coke crushing rollers to build them up for re machining
They just plié it on top of its self
I would love to get the numbers. I don't do videos but maybe I can pick some up and get some pictures.
still searchin
    Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:00 pm

I’m interested also run lots of fluxcore always clean my slag because as someone said inclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate,

Very old post.

I think I'm the only member still active here, and the member AK, passed away. (for future reference). I still haven't seen any proper pictures of this technique, but I assume it's done all the time.

Mick.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Well if I take the info with a grain of salt, I know it's not normal E71T-GS or E71T-11 because it is "supposedly" on 1/2" weld beads or bigger. That means it's some heavy duty wire, not a typical roll of gasless flux core coming out of a 120V flux core welder. People can swear all they want, but nothing beats hard data that is properly tested & gathered. Here-say is for witch hunts. So yea, I'm skeptical about it. :lol:
ganxtr
    Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:17 pm

The flux coating on gas shielded flux-cored wires solidifies faster than the molten weld material. Consequently, a sort of shelf is created which holds the molten pool when welding overhead or vertically up. Gas-shielded flux wires work well when welding thicker metals.

Tech
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

ganxtr wrote:The flux coating on gas shielded flux-cored wires solidifies faster than the molten weld material. Consequently, a sort of shelf is created which holds the molten pool when welding overhead or vertically up. Gas-shielded flux wires work well when welding thicker metals.

Tech
True, but weldin Mike didn't specify if it was gasless or gas-shielded flux core. Without specifying, I assumed gasless flux core.

Oscar, that was a spam bot. He's gone now.... Don't be scared.