Ideas & suggestions for videos
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate,

I have only heard hearsay about it, never done it nor see a video or proper picture.

However, from what im hearing, The wire you would normally use to do a 1/2 " or bigger multipass fillet weld. The slag of the preceding run gives a bit of support to the next run, I would try it, but the only flux core wire we have is a 309 wire with self releasing slag.

Mick
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote: The slag of the preceding run gives a bit of support to the next run
Doesn't this go against everything we have been taught in the past? I would think these welds would be full of inclusions. Anyone out there have a picture or video of this being done?

Hey,

Ill put the feelers out.

Mick
eddahenry
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:53 am

There is flux cored wire made to do this
I'll check the numbers of the lincon one I sell the coke mill
They use it on the coke crushing rollers to build them up for re machining
They just plié it on top of its self

Yeah, I was thinking it must be some sorts only. Like 3xp cigweld.

Mick
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

eddahenry wrote:There is flux cored wire made to do this
I'll check the numbers of the lincon one I sell the coke mill
They use it on the coke crushing rollers to build them up for re machining
They just plié it on top of its self
I would love to get the numbers. I don't do videos but maybe I can pick some up and get some pictures.
still searchin
    Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:00 pm

I’m interested also run lots of fluxcore always clean my slag because as someone said inclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate,

Very old post.

I think I'm the only member still active here, and the member AK, passed away. (for future reference). I still haven't seen any proper pictures of this technique, but I assume it's done all the time.

Mick.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Well if I take the info with a grain of salt, I know it's not normal E71T-GS or E71T-11 because it is "supposedly" on 1/2" weld beads or bigger. That means it's some heavy duty wire, not a typical roll of gasless flux core coming out of a 120V flux core welder. People can swear all they want, but nothing beats hard data that is properly tested & gathered. Here-say is for witch hunts. So yea, I'm skeptical about it. :lol:
ganxtr
    Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:17 pm

The flux coating on gas shielded flux-cored wires solidifies faster than the molten weld material. Consequently, a sort of shelf is created which holds the molten pool when welding overhead or vertically up. Gas-shielded flux wires work well when welding thicker metals.

Tech
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

ganxtr wrote:The flux coating on gas shielded flux-cored wires solidifies faster than the molten weld material. Consequently, a sort of shelf is created which holds the molten pool when welding overhead or vertically up. Gas-shielded flux wires work well when welding thicker metals.

Tech
True, but weldin Mike didn't specify if it was gasless or gas-shielded flux core. Without specifying, I assumed gasless flux core.

Oscar, that was a spam bot. He's gone now.... Don't be scared.