Ideas & suggestions for videos
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

would be pretty cool, good arc shots using his PowerMig 350 mp with arc force and that kind of stuff,as I do a fair amount of this kind of work , John :D :lol: :D
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

any chance of some pics of the stuff you weld on?

;) sure I'll try and download some pics , John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I do some big steel stuff , like mounting snow plows on trucks :o , and some work on farm machinery , and trailers , and quite a bit of general thick steel parts . I've hardly welded any aluminum still learning, don't have many aluminum projects coming around . I've yet to find some decent videos/arc shots on using large stick electrodes , I burn lots of 5/32 7024 and 3/16 8018 working on hitches, receiver, bumpers ,truck frames etc and I don't know if Jody will ever get any stuff like this :idea: / I think more stick welding would of been nice on that big square tube job that he used his PowerMig 350 MP even though I realize Mig was more economical and worked good on that job , sure stick welding has been neglected by many industries but its still a good process for heavy stuff and many kinds of stuff for me ,anyway. :( , as to pictures I have not got it set up yet , but I'm working on it :x thanks John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I don't have arc-shots, but I've burned a lot of 5/32 7018 on pipe, in all positions.

I always preferrred 1/8" though. I can do a 6010 root/hot and 7018 cap at one current setting.

Steve S

Do use your dig funtion on your 105a 7018 fill and cap? Just wonderin.... Thanks John :D

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:Do use your dig funtion on your 105a 7018 fill and cap? Just wonderin.... Thanks John :D
I've not usually had "dig" available, including the pictured weld. I usually set it for 20% when I do.

Steve S.
jwmacawful

some heavy pieces i worked on
Attachments
truss lift.jpg
truss lift.jpg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
jwmacawful

this was 2" i believe welded with 5/32 7018
Attachments
moment plate.jpg
moment plate.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
jwmacawful

everyone and is dog must have done lots of these. partial penetration column splice using run-off tabs. these columns were 4" thick. preheat on these joints to remove surface condensation. welded with 5/32 7018. all welds were ut checked on this job
Attachments
column splice.jpg
column splice.jpg (34.42 KiB) Viewed 2320 times

Otto Nobedder wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:Do use your dig funtion on your 105a 7018 fill and cap? Just wonderin.... Thanks John :D
I've not usually had "dig" available, including the pictured weld. I usually set it for 20% when I do.

Steve S.
do you just not believe in arc force? :?: thanks for your time, John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

The short answer is, I didn't have it, so learned to do without it.

"Dig" isn't about arc-force, anyway. It senses when you get too close and may "stick", and ups the current to prevent it. I also don't need a car that parallel-parks itself. :lol:

Steve S

So if you had "dig" all the time , would you ever have a need/use for it? Thanks John :D

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Yeah, I'll use dig when I have it. I'm not as steady as I once was, and a li'l defense against putting the "stick" in stick welding is welcome.

It's just another case of "I learned without it, so I can make do without it." Having it is an advantage, unless it becomes a crutch for poor technique.

Steve S

Understood
Thanks
:)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024